AuthorTopic: Monsters for killing(slight demon penis warning?)  (Read 4064 times)

Offline Break

• View Profile

Monsters for killing(slight demon penis warning?)

on: April 11, 2008, 06:56:05 am
First post  ;D Although I do have trouble committing to forums I'll make an effort to stick around since this is by far my favorite and I've watched it grow for a while.

Anyway, these are three enemies you might encounter in an rpg of some sort. Think dragon warrior, where they just present themselves nicely in front of you.

>edit>

reference for the cow

Did the first two within the last two days. Third one's been sitting a while but I just now edited it. This is a style I've started experimenting with; dark, drab colors, minimal antialiasing, inspired mostly by the Shin Megami Tensei games. You can check out some screenshots here. I think I borrowed a few colors to get me going but these mostly have mine. I'm a big fan of the look and the goal was to reproduce it somewhat. Keep it oldschool if you will, and with a touch of dirty realism. These are also meant for similarly colored dark backgrounds.

I think they're close to done, but not quite there maybe. Any suggestions for improvement much appreciated.

edit-I think the way the android's body just cuts off is distracting, I need some kind of wreckage down there or something to show he's missing his legs and he's not happy about it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 04:14:23 am by Break »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Monsters for killing(slight demon penis warning?)

Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 02:22:21 pm
Um these are awesome.  That's about it!  Something you could practice is mixing your ramps a little bit - sharing shadow colors etc.  If these are actually meant for in-game probably they would use palette swapping so it might not be the best idea...but as standalone pieces of art they would benefit from a tad more cohesion.  Great work otherwise!

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 10:56:58 pm
The fuzzy alligator-mammoth rider.  I like your use of triangles to show value :P.  The dark red hue is being wasted on the sickle.  The horn to our left feels misplaced, like it should almost be forward more on the croc's head, if that makes sense?  I'm no horn expert on crocs though.

Armless man.  First thing that sticks out is that his head seems too small, or it's placed awkward--I donno, but something's wrong there.  Then I have to ask, why is there no blood coming from those wounds? :P  That's just opinion though.

Penis-tail cow.  I dig the penis tail.  The biggest thing is the horns really.  I'd say the need some more refining and definition--they have that rpgmaker95 feel to them right now, you know?

And then I just have to say, you're ability to show volume is pretty damn good.  Welcome to Pixelation. ;)
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 11:11:32 pm
very, very, very nice. I really like the clean aproach ommiting outlines almost completey. I dont really see much of this style in that megami tensei link you gave us. When I see this I think more of the medium-sized CV:Symphony of the Night bosses, Pocket Fighter portraits, Some street fighter2 and Alpha portraits, some Dark Stalker portraits.....and Waku Waku 7......you guessed it, I tend to look for games that dont use outlines =)

This godlike cow
with a penis for a tail is great. is it's hind half some kind of parasite? since it's the one with the peni and it's got tendrils all over it, it almost makes me feel as if it's a sacred cow that has been possesed by some evil plant-penis virus or something :p

that "android" looks more like some paranoic dream to me. I really dont mind at all that he springs right out of the floor, that makes him seem more like some mad amputation related delusion...which is cool in my book.
The construction of this one seems to be the poorest of the 3, it's ok that his musculature is exagerated but something about the way he is drawn makes it look like he has no real volume and is actually flat. One thing I can spot right out is the way the neck is SO ambigous, the muscles you specified in the botton of it imply it's turning to (our) left, but his head is actually turned far to the right (the fact he's doing your typical break-the-skull style anime scream must have an influence too). For the arms, I think the triceps look a bit disjointed from his chest muscle (forgot the name, so sue me!) it kinda makes it look like the muscles are just for show and dont really power his movement.

I really enjoy that reaper rider, that round, simple shape you gave to his ride really puts the attention on the awesomely done rider, and that crazy alligator with horns below him. This one has a very nice sense of movement; Have you ever tried animation? to me it looks like you could have some wild fun with it

My main crit is...you sure you want to waste all this art in some puny little RPG? RPGs strike me as awfully unimaginative in general compared the kind of concept art that goes behind them
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 11:32:58 pm by Conceit »

Offline CRUSHER

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 01:08:35 am
Well, good job on you sprites..... I am doing a paper on sprites so I am looking into this. I have done sprites before too and Game Making with GML. I need to know how to pixel and program..... If someone  could help me program and sprite better (plus give me a good place to find music for games) that would be great and helpful for my paper! I am a leader of many teams! Thank You!!!! (I AM involved into GMC)!

Offline Break

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 03:43:41 am
Agreed with all points, good stuff. The robot had no refs whatsoever, I'll try and find some good ones though. Reading this has given me the urge to improve them, but it'll have to wait for tomorrow as I have a demon penis sized headache. But basically-

cow's horns
construction of robot, arms and neck
croc's horns, croc's legs

are some issues now that I will be workin' on.

Oh and Conceit you completely nailed the demon cow concept. I'm glad this was conveyed. I imagine it just sits around in a dark altar somewhere foaming at the mouth while naked women fan it with banana leaves or some weird stanley kubrick shit.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 03:48:39 am by Break »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 04:13:53 am
These are good. The croc head looks like a deer stuck on a wall. Maybe centre it more. Also, if his neck is way down there, how can
there be so much body above? To best of my knowledge, theres no animal in real life like that (ie. huge mass above spine). edit: didn't know about bison....

I think the bottom half of croc mouth should be reshaped to fit with top. Highlights on horns for croc would be good. Grey for metal part of sycthe.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 04:16:58 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi