AuthorTopic: Rainy day, Sunny face...  (Read 4189 times)

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Rainy day, Sunny face...

on: December 04, 2005, 03:01:31 pm

Oh well, this is, like Skipper's topic "Beauty", kind of personal. This is a gift for a very special friend of mine (I do not, in this moment, wish more than friendship with her), Katarina, whose birthday is on the 22nd (or 23rd, I'm not sure) of December. I've been dedicating most of my time and effort to it, in this past week, because I want it to be as perfect as my technique and knowledge allow me to.

Now, let me explain some points of the picture. It's a portrait of her made from this referenc pic.
The reason for the yellowish tones is the fact that she is a wonderfully happy person, and I wanted to pass that feeling by giving her a sunny, bright look. I hope I was able to show that...

My major problem now is the hair. I was hoping someone could help me with this, because I realy don't know how to do it...

Filax
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 03:04:47 pm by Filax_666 »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Rainy day, Sunny face...

Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 03:30:28 pm
man, this is why I never do renditions of women. Getting the likeness is nerve-wracking. The way you've 'segmented' the nose is too strong and doesn't work. The upper lip needs a bit more width and definition. I think the hair is fine if you keep it like that, but if you want to go in and make individual strands, well, I think you should give it a go before you get crits on this.

It's overall a competent piece, pixel-art wise, but the likeness... the likeness!

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 04:13:29 pm
It's pretty close. Right now she kinda looks like Bjork, though the girl in the reference photo resembles a young Rizzo from Grease. Be that is it may, I think you're just about there. Fix up that nose and it'll make a big difference.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 07:53:15 pm
Some shapes are definitely too defined. Like the chin and shadows striping across the bridge of her nose. Using the highlight color in more places could really bring in some definition, even if it's just dithered and not very strong. It's awkward to see so many shadows and then the midtone and no lighter spots, but only highlighted areas. Also, some highlights in her eyes wouldn't hurt. They look a bit dead as is, I think.

I made a quick edit to hopefully illustrate some of my points.

You may want to fix her lips too. Instead of a thick straight line for the bottom lip, curve it in a little on the sides. Lips are a real bitch to get right, it seems, so I didn't even try to fix the bottom one after messing with the upper one.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 07:55:34 pm by Blick »

Offline God Slayer

• No one expects the Spanish Inquisition. No one.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 07:57:19 pm
The thing that bothers me is that her teeth are yellow. It conserves colors, but I don't know- would she care if it did? I know I'd like my self portrait to have nice teeht. ;D

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 08:42:55 pm
dude?...where the hell are her eyes?...you made them all wrinkly and took out their color she looks old in your pixel :p...put more of her quirkyness in the pic

your tones arent really yellow, they are more around beige/purple that if anything gives it an aged look
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 08:55:36 pm by Camus »

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 07:27:39 pm

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it was defenitly good for me to have all these critiques.

I hope I was able to improve something...I just 'undefined' some stuff you pointed (I followed blick's edit alot on this), added another, maybe useless, highlight tone, tried to fix the lips and anti-aliased some of the hair's borders...
Also, I tried to put some lame stuff on the background (dither on the upper corners). Should I keep that?...

Camus: I know waht you mean about the eyes, I've noticed that a long time ago. I just can't fix them...

GS: Brightened her theet ;D

Blick: Thanks! Your edit sure helped me improving the piece, although I preferred not to give the eyes as very strong highlight, as did...I know what you mean about the lips, it was realy hard to make them 'curve it in a little on the sides'...

Helm: Yes, it's been realy hard to pixel this in way to keep the likeness...and it became even harder due to the angle in which she's tilting (does this word exist?) the head to...

Next step I'll be taking is to TRY to make some highlights on the hair...If anyone knows anything that can help on making that I'd be grateful ;) Any critiques on what I've done until now are also welcome!