AuthorTopic: Number9  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Wattsie1993

• A Pile Of Pixel
    • View Profile

Number9

on: April 05, 2008, 12:42:25 pm
Hello.
My first pixel after being unbanned from the site.
Please critique

Thankyou
This isn't very important.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Re: Number9

Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 01:26:45 pm
Again, this is really abstract and hard to critisize.
Only thing I can add is that you do not need to AA the 45 degree lines. In fact, it'll only make it blurry.

I really recommend you to try more realistic things to master more of the basics before you move on to more abstract stuff.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 01:29:40 pm
Opacus is right. In order to do good abstract art one really has to know what he is doing in terms of composition, form and colour.

This as it is atm just hurts my eyes (seriously) and has a rather boring composition.
Sadly there is not much else I can think of to write about this.

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 06:25:10 pm
For the most part, for this type of non-representation abstract display, you have to play with the viewer's eye--right now there's really no reason to look at this.  There's a few reasons for this.

a)You're not exploiting positive and negative space to do your bidding.  There's something called equivocal space, where the viewer isn't sure where the background starts and where the figures begin, and this is a big player as to whether or not your piece will "pop" or not, you know?  A lot of optical illusions exploit it.   Anyways, right now, your piece really doesn't have it.    (btw, I think this is also called ambiguous space  :-\)

(to show something with a bit more equivocal space)

b)Composition. The goal is to achieve some sort of balance, whether it is symmetrical or not.  There's certain little principles you kind of have to know, or at least be aware of.  The only guideline I can think of off hand that would help you is, that a large object towards the center is balanced by a small object near the edge.  I donno, I'm all rusty on this stuff.

http://www.johnlovett.com/test.htm  This might be useful--its pretty much the same stuff they show you in design books and stuff.

Anyways, good luck ;)!

Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.