AuthorTopic: [WIP] GameBoy player  (Read 4715 times)

Offline Kaczor

• I'm lazy
    • View Profile
    • Mario City

[WIP] GameBoy player

on: March 16, 2008, 10:32:43 pm
Some of you may remember me. I was posting here for a while and then left for couple of months :crazy:. I came back and maybe will stay for longer... what am I saying? Of course I will. I'm still learning so here's ma current exercise piece open for your critique.

The gray thing he's holding "is" a GameBoy. That's what makes him a GameBoy player  :hehe:.

[UPDATE]

Small update. Don't mind the cap... still. I know it sucks. I have problems with too big palette as always. 32 colors as far as I remember  :ouch:.

[UPDATE]

Still don't mind the cap. I ocasionally managed to merge some colours. There are 17 at the moment. I mentioned about 32 colours earlier... :crazy: My PC must have lied to me :P.

Still waiting for someone to help me improve this :(.

[UPDATE] 19-03-2008

I finished it. It's pretty weird how he manages to play a game without a cart inserted  :crazy:. It still needs to be worked on but that's all I can come up with at the moment and without your help there won't probably be any improvement :(.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 06:03:41 pm by Kaczor »
Sorry for my english.

Offline thedaemon

• thedaemon
    • View Profile
    • personal website

Re: [WIP] GameBoy player

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 09:22:00 pm
Your color choices could use some contrast. Do you really need all the dithering?  ???
gemini://thedaemons.space
https://thedaemons.space

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 09:29:09 pm
Dithering is fine aslong as used right. And it is used right, in my opinion ;D

I like this piece, though of course there have to be some crits, which has a good side too.
You are reusing some colors of the face in the hair (or other way round, would be the same I guess). I dont think you should do that, since it looks somewhat weird. Also, his shoes look a bit too greenish. And you should totally add a cart to the gameboy ;D
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Kaczor

• I'm lazy
    • View Profile
    • Mario City

Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 10:14:35 pm
Finally someone responded :yay:. I'm using dithering for the first time so I was expecting it to be criticised. I'm glad you think it's right, Crow.
You are reusing some colors of the face in the hair (or other way round, would be the same I guess). I dont think you should do that, since it looks somewhat weird.
Alright, I get it but what's wrong with it? I mean... Could you explain it more widely?
Also, his shoes look a bit too greenish.
Yeah, I've had problems with these >:(. I'll try to use some other shading.

Thanks! :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 10:16:11 pm by Kaczor »
Sorry for my english.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 10:19:23 am
Finally someone responded :yay:. I'm using dithering for the first time so I was expecting it to be criticised. I'm glad you think it's right, Crow.
You are reusing some colors of the face in the hair (or other way round, would be the same I guess). I dont think you should do that, since it looks somewhat weird.
Alright, I get it but what's wrong with it? I mean... Could you explain it more widely?
Also, his shoes look a bit too greenish.
Yeah, I've had problems with these >:(. I'll try to use some other shading.

Thanks! :)

Well, the dithering you did looks good. About the face and hair colors, it just doesnt read well in some places if its hair or face. And the face looks a bit weird with those yellowish colors.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline BG

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 07:13:26 pm
I have no problem with the readability. the outline of the hair makes it pretty clear what's hair and what's his face. The skinn is a bit extremely yellow, though. You could try give it a more red-ish tone.
Nice work overall :)