AuthorTopic: knight character (C&C appreciated)  (Read 2874 times)

Offline mobichan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Licker

knight character (C&C appreciated)

on: March 14, 2008, 06:25:24 pm

64x64 8 colors + transparency

I was starting to make a generic knight to use while learning some game creation software.  He is meant for a platform game.  I was just curious if anyone sees any glaring issues with him at this point?  I have been struggling with the heart emblem on his chest, but I think my eyes are too used to the image so I can't see the problems anymore.  Thanks for any C&C in advance.

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Re: knight character (C&C appreciated)

Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 01:48:18 am
cute! :) i like it

i'll tell you a secret :O!
I have a technique to know if something is ok whether or not i'm used to it.
Mirror it (watch it on a mirror if is a drawing or just mirror it if its digital)
your brain will not recognize the image. It will think its a new one and you find a LOT of issues xD not saying that your sprite has them! :)
Try it, youll find it useful :)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: knight character (C&C appreciated)

Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 04:11:43 pm
is he supposed to be a humorous character? he has one big belly but I dont know how intentional that is. I'm gonna asume it is and reccomend you to not be so shy with your highlights and go ahead and put quite a bit of them on his belly (preferably towards the botton, or halfway down to show how far his midsection is sticking out) to emphasize his bulgous sillouethe.

There's an issue with the way you used your highlights making the chest so bright, and then the shoulderpads so darkened, specially since you used banding on the chest highlights. Try to take that harsh highlight away from the shoulders when you do what I suggested, hopefully that will fix the issue.

I can see what you were going for with using that dark blue shade for a skin and red-headress shadow, but it doesnt really work and it looks cheap. I suggest you use purple, and then adapt the midtones to have a bit of a purple tinge to them. it will give both materials a sense of having reflected light on them.

You got a humurous little fellow there, if all of your graphics have that kind of charm you'll have a pretty neato looking little game.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 05:23:58 pm by Conceit »