AuthorTopic: Movements.  (Read 8296 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Movements.

Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 07:33:43 pm
The poster quoted above made a similar post on the BYOND pixel art guild and it was pointed out that, although he may have (or may have not) posted this before as Tadao, he's now using MetalFox's edit for the first frames of his current anim.  This user is currently banned from the Byond pixel art guild bler bler bler....

these are so ridiculously generic i doubt anyone really cares about the origins.  it's like trying to put a copyright on sand.  The mods might disagree but IMO it's trivial.

Being generic though doesn't get this piece off the hook entirely.  This still needs a lot of work as a base sprite.

the good - first row has much better shading style than the rest.  preserve and repeat this.

the bad - the hourglass torso is not only ugly, but for the number of times it's been done it's also really tired.    let's give the man a pelvis, shall we?  Most people have them.  Th choppy, low-contrast shading also does nothing for you, and why are the shins catching the most light of anywhere on the legs?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Yar

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 12:04:35 am
bler bler bler....

Wow. Was that really necessary?

these are so ridiculously generic i doubt anyone really cares about the origins.  it's like trying to put a copyright on sand.  The mods might disagree but IMO it's trivial.

Maybe so. I'll try and explain where I'm coming from better.
It's true these kind of sprites aren't exactly cubism and I know that seeing these so often can get old. I'm with you on that - believe me. But, it is how many of these kids get started with pixeling, so we (at that guild) try and take those sprites and share some of the basic techniques (like AAing, contrasting colors and shades, basic shading, etc.) The progress can be glacial, but I'd rather try and improve the situation than just let it get worse. What we don't want to encourage is people simply taking someone else's work (even an edit) and using it directly as their own. Most of these kids don't know it's wrong right out of the gate, so we try and take a strong stance on it.

Listen, I'm not pointing at this kid and saying to anyone, 'HE'S A WITCH! BURN HIM!'. He's just a kid who's taking credit for an edit. I'm just putting that info out there so I can stem the tide of 'Another BYOND ripper. lol', if/when someone else had pointed out the situation. We're not all like that and I wanted to do right by the pixelation forums.

/shrug. Anyway, crit the sprite or do whatever you'll do.

Offline HulioG

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 12:57:30 am

Acknowledge the creator and give credit where credit is due. We all know if he didn't make a grass or sand turf he shouldn't say he did. You just don't want this kind of attitude (it started out like this at our site, now it's rip central), you start letting 32x32 base's slide then it's on to bigger and better things. If people are going to learn pixel art they need to know what's generally excepted and what isn't. Taking credit for someone else's work is not tolerated, anywhere.

Anyway this was just a heads up to you guys, as TMDI said (assuming you guys have no problem with this) go on and crit.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 03:14:22 am
. We all know if he didn't make a grass or sand turf he shouldn't say he did.

Lol, i meant copyrighting actual sand, like what's on beaches.  And like i said, i don't reflect the moderation of this forum.  My point was just that there's no work or art to take credit for here, so it doesn't matter whose it is, imo, the guy should get help because we're starting at step 0.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 11:45:27 am
I'd like to hear from thread starter on the matter before moderation becomes an issue.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 10:21:56 am
So, nothing, huh? I am locking this.  >:(