AuthorTopic: [WIP] Dwarven Mafia  (Read 3248 times)

Offline MaulingMonkey

• View Profile

[WIP] Dwarven Mafia

on: March 01, 2008, 04:13:33 pm
After lurking here on and off for months, I figured it was time to come out of the woodwork.

(originally intended for 2x zoom)

References:
Using robotacon's modification of arne's 16 color palette from here: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=4306.msg54869#msg54869
Some random google images picture of a tommy gun: http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/weapons-ww2-allied/tommy-gun.jpg

Originally I was going for your traditional dwarf miner, but while struggling to make a decent pick, this popped into my head and seemed like a much better idea anyways.
I want to redo the sidewalk --- it's about as dark as I originally wanted, but after brightening the grassy coast behind him to read better, but it feels over dithered and too dark compared to the rest of the scene, even if it is supposed to be night time.

I've avoided modifying the palette so far, even though it looks a good bit too bright for a shady midnight stroll to break in those new concrete boots he got you.  I'm torn between leaving it that bright for the contrast, or darkening it up once I'm otherwise happy with it.

C+C welcome and encouraged  ;D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 04:15:26 pm by MaulingMonkey »

Offline MaulingMonkey

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Dwarven Mafia

Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 06:27:51 am
I'll take the silence as a not entirely terrible thing, and hope it won't be stepping on too many toes to post again after only comments from the meatsphere, since I'm accompanying it with what I'd consider a major update after working on it off and on for a week.

Based on a comment about the water not reading, I expanded the size by 3x2 times, added a full moon to make the lighting a little less jarring for a nighttime scene, and generally tried to make the piece better.  Since my main lighting source is now behind, I probably need to redo the shading of the hills.  Lesson learned:  Get the scene more defined first, rather than last.  This just progressed all weird.

I'm a bit happier with the sidewalk, but I'm still not entirely happy with it.  This time, I'm not quite sure how to improve it.

New Reference:
Some random googled image of the moon:  http://www.noao.edu/image_gallery/images/d3/FullMoon.jpg (warning:  Hi Res)
Stars were randomly placed.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 06:33:07 am by MaulingMonkey »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Dwarven Mafia

Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 06:41:12 am
Reduce the hotter colors and overall lighting of the piece! It's night time after all.
Also, the moon is a very broad, all-encompassing lightsource. There pretty much won't be highlights except on the moon, and small shadows.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)