AuthorTopic: [WIP] moonlady, now with 30% more cheese.  (Read 13812 times)

Offline politopo

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] moonlady, now with 30% more cheese.

Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 08:51:31 am
Newer version with slight change on the left leg

Would you name it done?

@Terley, I used a different site for upload for your pleasure, if you see it let me know and I'll move the others too.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 10:12:23 pm
I don't like how you've rendered her butt. It makes it look very flat and the lines are too dark and extreme. It just makes her look extremely saggy. The highlight is probably the main reason for this, don't highlight the edge, but rather somewhere closer to the middle to give the impression of a gradual curve.

Her higher foot to me looks like it's broken and rather than it being highlighted, it being a different colour of skin altogether. I'd also perhaps lessen the sense of columns of hair too.

That's my imput.  :y:

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008, 08:19:18 pm
First thing that really sticks out is that the way you did the outline on the leg makes it almost imply that it's fuzzy.  It would add to the seductiveness of the piece if you implied a more smooth look to the outline, I mean, in my opinion.
And then, in the butt cheek area, the lighting is funky...almost pillow shaded or something in some spots.  I donno...funky lighting though.
Also, the way her left arm is placed makes it seem like she's struggling to sit the way she is--maybe it's over stretched or something? I think a more relaxed pose would add to the piece.

But I really like how this has come out so far.  Cool ^^
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline politopo

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 22, 2008, 03:34:02 pm
aggiornamento (update):

fixed the arm (I think. Figured out it was the shoulder was to much on the left)
about feet, I changed their position so that the bottom is no more visible.
I changed the lighting and, hopefully, fixed the butt (thanks Larwick).
I also made the outlines on the leg more continuous, and I find it makes it really better, thank you Rydyn.
about the hair, i like them this way, sorry if it is too much anime-inspired... :)
also the craters are more defined now, I think.
Opinions?
thanks everybody.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #24 on: March 22, 2008, 05:05:37 pm
I like the new palette and the limited use of colors, but I think you could make the color ramp slightly more even. The anatomy could also use some work, so I've made an edit to give you some ideas on how to improve it (although I didn't finish the feet).

I agree that the shoulder leaning against the moon looks uncomfortable. I'd just remove it, move her up a bit and give her more room for her feet. She could also use a bit more of a ribcage, so I'd also widen her torso a bit. Her hips look a bit flat, and the shading on her legs doesn't really give the impression of being more distant and angled away from the light source. The scattered single black pixels just add noise, and the same with the broken outlines. You also have a lot of banding going on, and the AA on the moon against the dark side could use some work, too.

Hope that helps. :)

Offline politopo

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: March 29, 2008, 09:19:16 am
First of all thanks Arachne, your comments and your edit are really helpfull. I will not leave the original concept (i would be a defeat  :yell: ), but trying to re-pixel the figure from scratch i came out with this new one. What do you people think about it? Which pose is the best?

P.S.: It seems I can't keep the same palette more than for a couple of versions..  :)

Offline infinity+1

• the real deal
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: March 30, 2008, 01:03:47 pm
ooh wow. the alternate rules. better than the original in my opinion. although, it seems like you could at least thin out that outline on the character by just a little bit.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: March 30, 2008, 01:13:54 pm
Seconded.

Also, the lighting on the back of the head could be rounder on the right by a few pixels.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #28 on: March 30, 2008, 10:19:08 pm
The new version is definitely cool, but I gotta vote the original.  You're almost there with it!  Just some cleaning and smoothing here and there and the original would be pretty much done, I'd say.
As with the new one, the lighting is much more dynamic, but you've got a truckload of reshaping and refining ahead of you still.  Not to say work is bad--I encourage you to do both versions :P.  I would go with the original though.

Good luck.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: March 30, 2008, 11:32:28 pm
I like the position of the moonlady in the first, but the detailed background of the first second.

COMBINE the two.  :D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 07:27:48 pm by Atnas »