AuthorTopic: Knife (palette practice)  (Read 9545 times)

Offline Elwin

• View Profile

Re: Knife (palette practice)

Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 03:41:18 pm
Sorry for the double post, but this was a long way down the page, and I don't think it's finished....
When there is no more of art to discover, you know you're dead. And if you aren't, what the hell do you live for?

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 03:38:27 am
I think the blade portion of the knife has come a long ways.  :y: Good job.  Now, I think you should focus your attention more to the hilt.

Right now it feels like it's leaking up into the blade.  Most hilts are very straight, hard, and defined--except butter knifes maybe :P--and yours is very bubbly and meh.  Render and define the hilt more.

Also, I wanna comment on the handle.  It seems too short, for one...maybe extend it out a bit?  And secondly, it seems like its made from the same material as the rest of the knife.  You've done admirably well using colors to show lights and darks.  Now maybe try using color to not only show lights and darks, but substance as well.

Good luck, and welcome to Pixelation!
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Elwin

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 12:17:01 pm
Thank you, for both compliments and critic :) And as this is not a butterknife  :P I've made the handle longer, and defined the hilt a little more:
When there is no more of art to discover, you know you're dead. And if you aren't, what the hell do you live for?

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 01:42:59 pm
I think you should figure how to describe you volumes with colors, well, unless you want it to be just a colorful something.
May be a little example, perhaps just the way I see it and you may have something different in mind.

Offline Elwin

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 02:04:03 pm
Sorry, but I don't see your image fool :(

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 02:09:24 pm

Offline Elwin

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 02:41:51 pm
Ahh, that's one awesome edit  :o I'll try and use my colors better, like in your edit :)

Offline Elwin

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 07:07:24 pm
Here is latest version: I still think there is a little with the shading on the hilt though, just doesn't know how to fix it :)

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 09:37:51 am
Shading will depend on how clear you see your object 3dimentionaly - try to draw with pencil different views of knife to find out what is round, what is flat, how round parts connect to flat ones, where are cavities and where are bumps etc. I know that is meant to be a palette practice, but to me all these things are related - you should figure your volumes to determine  shades you apply.

Offline Elwin

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 03:48:00 pm
Thank you fool, I believe this is better than before?