AuthorTopic: scraps ex machina  (Read 3509 times)

Offline im9today

• xtrwsqgcxct
    • View Profile

scraps ex machina

on: February 18, 2008, 05:15:27 am
Personally I hate these types of threads, but a scraps post is better than no post I guess. :-\

on the last one sheldon did the guy on the lower left
it was going to be an elaborate prank but it got boring

yretsym.fig

new smaller, tighter sprites for spartacus

becomes
becomes  

So there you go. Nothing innovative or different, just colored squares.
And yes, for those of you who were thinking of asking, Super Banana Nababa is still in development and I will add a lot of stuff for you to critique to its thread later on. :)

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Re: scraps ex machina

Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 01:35:49 pm
I really like your quick, sketchy style. It feels very free. The colouring is also great too (especially the boss like guy, top right). Sometimes it`s nice to see pixel art with no fancy extras such as AA and dithering etc...

I`m eagerly awaiting your Super Banana Nababa work :)

Jason.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 03:52:14 pm

three great starts all in a row.  it's great how quickly you get into modelling, and the technique is VERY painterly (a rarity amongst PA practitioners)....

I do have one question though.  Why pixel art?  These could be done much better with digital paint in the same amount of time and not loose a thing.  Pixel art's strength is in the ability to pull out fine detail and highly polished pieces, and i get the vibe from this that you don't like to take most pieces past doodle.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 11:30:35 pm
As much as I respect Adarias, I totally disagree with him here. This is beautiful pixel work that almost takes pixel art beyond pixel art. The fact that you have a style that could be used in a messy way and don't brings it to a great level. I think it's beautiful, and I'd love to see a game or something use graphics like this.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 11:52:42 pm
Mh.  we all know these marks.  we all make these marks.  we make them in the first 5 minutes of each sprite.  lively sketching keeps things alive, and im9today has a great eye. If he intends to make these pixel art, why is there little or no polish past the first few minutes when, if you start as well as you have here, it won't reduce the liveliness? It would sure as hell help your colors (regionally, not individually) which are perhaps the only thing lacking.

The reason? Like the thread says, these are nice scraps.  They aren't meant to be finished.

This is beautiful pixel work that almost takes pixel art beyond pixel art.
Beautiful?  Without a doubt.  Pixel work?  Not at all.  It doesn't go "beyond" pixel art, it avoids it like the plague.  transcending and diverging are not the same and shouldn't be confused.

(for clarity, I think going beyond pixel art would be elevating each pixel to the extent that it becomes itself rather than part of a picture.  these pixels aren't even considered let alone elevated.)

I like divergence, but the goal is different.  I still wonder if pixel art is a choice that matches the goals of these quick pieces.  I'm not convinced that it helps it in terms of style, process, or presentation.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.