AuthorTopic: Super Syobon!  (Read 14977 times)

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: Super Syobon!

Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 09:51:59 pm
That game is horrible and I initially thought that the original horrible graphics suited it. However, these are looking very good. Its hard to pick fault, maybe the bear's head could be more symettrical (maybe you are constrained to use their line art?). The outline on the little cat's ear seems broken. Something about a white cat with a pink belly seems wrong to me, like maybe the whole cat should be white. Nice work on the square cat head.

Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline brianskywalker

• View Profile
    • sakana

Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 03:30:50 am
Can you post some screen shots of your version, us mac users can't run that game!

Isn't it a JAVA game? You should be able to run it fine, after all, I'm a mac user too and it runs in-browser for me, although I would like to see a sceenshot with those graphics anyways. (Also the link to the ZIP file doesn't work anyways, Yahoo deleted it. So I really can't see if that works at all. http://www.geocities.jp/z_gundam_tanosii/home/applet/Main.html // page with the applet running on it.)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 04:05:28 am
a random note, but a good romanization might be Siobhán (pronounced like shə-bawn/shə-vawn), as this is a much more widely recognized name.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 04:21:30 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 04:15:37 pm
What would help would be to pull some screenshots of the new art in action. I get the feeling the selout might be too much.

Offline MadeyeMike

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 06:07:41 pm
lol, Is the rip of Pedo bear actually in that game?

Offline Scuba Steve

• View Profile
    • Incredible Baron

Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 10:21:41 pm
Sorry... it's a little graphic intensive...

I wanted to try and keep a bit of the black outlines that the original characters had... but give them my own twist.  For most of the sprites I went with a very dark coloured outline and antialiased a bit into it.  The first screenshot shows off a bit of Grass I was trying with the tiles.  I also included a screenshot of the first pic as the game originally appears.

The Bedobear thing was because the original game had this hideous character that looked almost identical to him... but white.... so I just threw him in.  It's a miracle I even know what it is... stupid internet.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 10:29:55 pm by Scuba Steve »
Glub Glub!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 07:07:48 am
heh the selout hurts in he first few screenshots against the sky background but helps in the black backgrounds in the latest stages. I think the ground/wall tiles look oversharpened because of the strong highlights? Thought about toning them down a bit?

Offline Scuba Steve

• View Profile
    • Incredible Baron

Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 04:11:40 pm
I originally had more subdued highlights... but the game runs in a tiny window at a low resolution.  When I played it it just looked like a washed out block of colour.  I've been playing it in XP's "run in 640x480" mode and it helps make the game look a bit better.  After playing I had gone back and made the highlights brighter to try and give the blocks some detail that could be seen.

What if, on the player, I changed the selout to be darker?  I want the character to retain the "black" outline look... but not be just a character with a solid black border?
Glub Glub!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 10:57:51 am
I think selout is a horrible thing, so I'm not the one to ask! If you were developing this, I'd say go with an alpha mask, heh

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 04:52:22 pm
if it were up to me, i'd say you were being too faithful.  the open and bland level designs are going to make this look amaturish even if you are totally badass about the tiles and characters themselves.  Still, this shows a great improvement.  I would AA/selout to a lighter gray, because you don't have to get that close to black just to fade into black, and it will help a ton with the blue.  With your light characters, you may even experiment with a touch darker sky

about the black outline, think about simultaneous contrast.

look at this work by Mirre:

zoom in on the top of the minotaur's head and see just how light the line is there, and yet how dark it actually looks because it is bordered by two lighter colors.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 05:04:52 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.