AuthorTopic: Making my Pixel Avatar  (Read 7055 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Re: Making my Pixel Avatar

Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 12:26:44 am
Great critique Terley.  I was about to make an edit myself which explained better palette usage and volumes.  Thanks for saving me some time :P

Incedax:
dont just thin the lines for the heck of it.  Think about which lines are receiving more light than other areas, or areas where the lines would naturally be thinner.  Line thickness may be pretty solid on the underside of objects.  currently you're getting a 'broken line' effect going on with what you've done.  take a look at the corner of the monster's mouth in terley's edit to get an idea of how to properly do this.  Also notice how his has lots more depth tot he forms.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 12:30:22 am by Indigo »

Offline I Am Uh

• I feel... Saturated to some degree, out of tone.
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 01:59:54 am
Well the blue markings are supposed to be more cyan,  but I can always change it back to that later if I add more total colours.  Maybe ill try doing that and free up 3 colours and see what comes of it.  Thanks!

And Riddick-esque?  How do you mean?  Only Riddick i know of is the "Chronicles of Riddick" movie or whatever it was called

Yeah thats what I meant with like the goggles and the whole look. Reminds me of Riddick.

Btw, I think you need to add depth like in Terleys edit. Also I noticed that on the goggles, the piece in the middle that attaches the lenses together doesn't look like it would fit if he tried to put them over his eyes,(They would be squishing his nose.) maybe you should move it to the top lenses.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 02:03:05 am by I Am Uh »
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. What they oughta' say is...
Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) "Lord of War"
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline Incendax

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 02:04:01 am
Ooh right the goggles, forgot about that...

And more depth?  Maybe, just seemed a little too "deep" to me.  I'll try fiddling with it a bit though.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 02:27:54 am
well I think you just need a little more contrast with your shades tbh, if you're going to stick to more of a cell shaded look you can afford to make the best of what you've set out for yourself.

You've got a lightsource here so why isn't there any shadow underneath the head? where the neck is visible should be noticably darker since not as much light can hit there. You need to visualise this everywhere, It's just a case of trial and error, work on this section by section and try to think where the light would hit least to where it would be hit most.

But in all honesty your latest is a great improvement, I think it just needs some warmer tones in there cus its all a bit too yellow. Just pushing the darker shades over a smidge closer to a warm brown. Reminds me of mustard atm.

--

I made another edit of my edit too btw, may help. It's a choice to interprate light and dark into the lines too, not for line thickness value but to further act to shape. Just think, would a line be jet black if its the edge of the side facing the lightsource directly?

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/5999/pokemonbr1.png
pokemon sprites do this, and along the same track with using limited colours.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 02:41:14 am by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Incendax

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 02:32:05 am
Alright I admit, after doing something simple as adjusting the colour levels a tiny bit it came out way better.  Thanks I think it looks alot better now with a deeper range of colours!

=>
I think I'm happy with it for now

Of course I'm still quite open to suggestions if someone still thinks otherwise >.>

Edit:
And wow i must be behind the times, I've never seen any of those pokemon before in your link, lol    Except the popular one, last in the 3rd row...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 02:44:36 am by Incendax »

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 02:51:06 am
Adding a second light source would look pretty nice I think. A creamy pink on the right side  :lol:
Huge pimprovement though, alot mroe depth, great use of the colors. Goggles still could use some improvement though.

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 06:41:40 pm
pictures are not made by lines but areas with shadows :0!
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299