AuthorTopic: [WIP] For a game character sprite  (Read 3358 times)

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

[WIP] For a game character sprite

on: February 22, 2008, 06:28:05 am

Is there anything I can improve on?  I come here asking because I just can't tell.  Comment and Critique please.  ^_^

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Re: [WIP] For a game character sprite

Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 07:53:59 am
The selective outline on the arm looks pretty bad and the legs. Drop the Selout and see how it looks.
You can probably lessen the amount of colors too. The hair and shirt can probably have their palette's overlap, same with the sword's hilt, pants and... uh belt? Why is the belt not on correctly?

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 02:15:53 am
in my opinion this mainly needs more contrast, not the best of edits due to it being rushed but I've tried to rid of a few unwanted colours and stick to a few that would make more of a noticable effect on this.

>>

The jeans, look up some images, see where skinny jeans usually gather in that postion, don't make up random creases up each leg because it just won't make a whole lotta sense. Also I think he's a bit off balance, moved his foot across to give more stability.

Introduced black to this, might as well because as a sprite character usually need more contrast in order to stand out against a backdrop. Mostly used the darks seperate light and dark edges, to push things behind and create noticable shadows.

my edits not done this much justice, with a lot of tweaking parts could become much more easily read, it's just the case of shaping and using what colours you have to good use. Talking of colours, you could do with making some adustments, the skin seem all in all too yellow, maybe just a warmer tone to one of the shades. Some smart Hue shifting could help with colour sharing too.

Hope any of that helps.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 02:17:54 am by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Mike

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 05:08:03 am
Wow I really like your edit!!  I did end up editing mine a bit but its nowhere near the quality of that.  So I won't show it... 

Ok I decided to re-re edit my sprite based on the previous posts.

I apologize for taking the sword, but I could not think of any other way to make it better.

I was wondering if there is a place where I could learn about colors and shading like the way you do it.

oh and here is another character I have been working on.

**update**

[edit]
Guys I have made a grave error...the colors on my laptop are apparently way different from the colors on my desktop and other computers.  I just now had a chance to see what they really look like and I gotta say...whoops

Anyone know any good way for calibrating LCDs?

« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 03:33:30 pm by Mike »

Offline Mike

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 02:12:09 am
Bump

(I bumped it cause I made a lot of changes on things but I don't think its going to be noticed until its moved up)

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 03:25:07 am
About your colours mike theres no real 'place' to learn good colour theory, you should really focus on contrast, hue and saturation and mostly what colours work well together. Make sure your colours range from light to dark evenly enough to let your shading shape your character the way you want remembering darker shades can push parts back and light shade can pull it closer to our eyes.

Also be aware of how saturated your colours are, don't be afraid to use bold colours but the more saturated the more our eyes attract so use duller colours for things you don't want so much attention for example, and it can also be great for adding subtle details that just add to the image as a whole. Your newest update on that girl in stockings shows this, her skin works much nicer now imo.

This is pixel art so in tradition it's always best to make full use of your palette to just always be on the look out for how you can use a colour elsewhere, if a shade for one part is so close to a shade of somewhere else, theres nothing stopping you trying to make a mix of the two and sharing the one colour. But doing that too much can make everything a bit samely, the hair of the sword weilder is blue like his jeans, a slight variation could make it much more interesting.

Just know you can always tweak any colour, make it darker, lighter, more red, more blue, whatever..

Don't worry about taking away that sword, you may want to focus on the character without having to worry about the whereabouts of a handheld object. Don't let the sword define the characters posture too much.

I wouldn't knock yourself so much you're really pretty good at this mike.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 03:28:20 am by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..