AuthorTopic: They're still here  (Read 10874 times)

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Re: They're Already Here + Behemoth

Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 09:26:41 pm
The shading on the tail spike hair looking thing looks a bit odd. Also I don't think a monster with that texture'd detail of muscle would have his rib cage showing? I was thinking more of a firm solid mass of muscle. Last thing, those 3 weird balls to the right of the ribcage look like they shouldn't be there. Otherwise it everything else looks outstanding. I just noticed his front left paw is sort of lifted from the ground?

EDIT:
I played around with it for a bit and came up with this, it already has a weird muscle structure so I just blended it in.

Before                                    
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 09:36:48 pm by VictorR »

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 10:25:24 pm

Maybe something like this?
I kinda like the 'balls' though. I mean he's a bad ass with balls of steeeeeel!!!

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 10:50:34 pm
the left leg looks kinda clumsy compared to the athletic right one. The tail - crotch transition looks wierd as he's lower body kinda extends into his tail. For improved believability i think the tail should start where the legs end. Ref: http://www.canis.no/oppdretter/rasebilder/rase_364_1.jpg (i know it's a bud-ugly non-muscular dog, but hte overall design is kinda similiar).

Other than that, very nice. I hope you'll continue working on the alien- the design is cool, and the palette very bold.

Cheers
/vedsten

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 10:34:56 am
Thank you for the critique Vedsten. I'm planning to keep the legs like this, I think it's true to the original design like this.
(http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/espmon/behemoth.shtml)

I hope I fixed the tail though.

(And thanks for the compliment on the Tri-pod. It's not my design however. :) )

EDIT:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 11:12:03 am by Opacus »

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 03:49:45 pm
I liked the black outline in your first versions to be honest. I think it made him look cooler :o Might want to try to readd them.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 04:49:24 pm
I don't think the black lines would suit it really. Not a fan of it myself. I think the black line thing is more of a preference. And I prefer the current lines.
Thank you for your imput though.
Thanks for the critique. I'm happy now. I'm calling it finished. I will resume working on the Tri-pod.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 05:58:49 pm
why are only a few small areas dithered?  i think the underside of the tail should be darker and i think you could use weighted lines more to your advantage to reinforce the lightsource.

i think the horns make the face a bit unreadable, perhaps make them go backwards more like a rams.  I think you've gone overboard with the muscle structure, parts of him look like he's melting.  The front left leg should be thinner and the 'ankle' part looks a bit crap.

the thin hairs on the mane need to blend better into the big spikes.  the main body lacks contrast compared to the legs furthest from us.

the concept is cool, however you can't really take credit for that, but the execution needs a lot of work.  It has potential to go a lot further.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 05:36:06 pm
Perhaps this would be good reference for your beast.

(Whippet without myostatin)

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Re: New and improved taste, now with Aztec God!

Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 10:03:30 am
Well, thanks for all the critique still on the beasty. I'll try to get back on him later see if I can improve him but for now:

It's an Aztec God, Tlaloc. I used several references from the interwebz and my imagination. Critique so far?

(Oh, I noticed I'm a ninja now! pew pew pew!)

updaet:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 10:17:47 am by Opacus »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: New and improved taste, now with Aztec God!

Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 05:30:22 pm
hey just wanted to say i love your beast but his ramps are too divided, makes him look like early amiga art!  play with your palette and mix your tones a bit more and it could be a REALLY strong piece!  also finish the tripod!!