AuthorTopic: sidescroller mockup [WIP]  (Read 13930 times)

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Re: sidescroller mockup [WIP]

Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 11:20:12 pm
I'll work on what you said, especially the lighting on the sand. But how do you mean about a "mix on contrast"?

Sorry, I miss-spelled. I meant to say that there is a mix of contrast on the two characters.
The robot have several solid black shadows while the dude had only highlights.
You've added some contrast to him now so it looks better.
The dithering on the sand is also better.

Offline brianskywalker

• View Profile
    • sakana

Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 06:07:29 am

Well I've tweaked the characters a bit. I think they look a bit better. Also I'm trying an orange background again. I was messing with the colors on that fir a while though. Fairly desaturated purple looks surprisingly nice.

Offline PresidentLeever

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 10:27:05 pm
Looks very nice. I liked it with the shadows. If you're going to animate it, you could do a day to night cycle and use both the blue and orange styles :)

Offline brianskywalker

• View Profile
    • sakana

Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 09:38:08 am
I hope this wouldn't be considered reviving an old topic..

I have another mockup now, for the third stage. It's an underwater level. Currently it's still really WIP but here it is. (Also excuse that Mr. Jerry is running, I haven't made a swimming sprite yet.)

I actually tried to make an animation for the heart / health meter. It's supposed to kinda be something that looks like it's splashing around in it. Kinda like water in a glass that's swirling around a bit.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 09:41:05 am by brianskywalker »

Offline Fingerfoods

• Barq's Root Beer is delicious
    • View Profile
    • fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 01:18:45 pm
I want to say that this is the most rad game ever conceived, sir, but I am beginning to get disappointed. You can only run/swim through so many relatively plain-looking levels. The game has enough vivacity to cover a number of mind-bogglingly awesome mechanics. Can we please see Mr. Jerry flying through hula hoops on a penguin? Bouncing on trampolines? Your original image was inspiring, but these updates are feeling tired. I think I would still play it to get high, though.
Follow my blog!
fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Offline brianskywalker

• View Profile
    • sakana

Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 05:46:14 pm
I want to say that this is the most rad game ever conceived, sir, but I am beginning to get disappointed. You can only run/swim through so many relatively plain-looking levels. The game has enough vivacity to cover a number of mind-bogglingly awesome mechanics. Can we please see Mr. Jerry flying through hula hoops on a penguin? Bouncing on trampolines? Your original image was inspiring, but these updates are feeling tired. I think I would still play it to get high, though.

Ah, yeah. Hopefully, this won't be very plain later on. It looks lively in my sketch, I just haven't added the plants, rocks, coral, fish, etc. to it yet.

Also, I think I might try having him jump on trampolines in the future. I'm not sure if riding on penguins will work though. Maybe something like a walrus or a sea turtle. (a sea turtle would be great, although that would have to be a hidden feature somewhere)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 05:49:50 pm by brianskywalker »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 07:07:32 pm
Jerry has spatula hands. Shade some fingers on his left hand!

Offline brianskywalker

• View Profile
    • sakana

Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 09:54:00 am
Jerry has spatula hands. Shade some fingers on his left hand!

Aaaii! I didn't notice that before! Well, the one you see here isn't the current version, but I really don't want to post another stage 2 unless I have a ground breaking edit.

So, here's stage 3 again. I wouldn't have shown it yet, but I can't figure out what's wrong with Jerry.

I was going to add some jellyfish to the mockup too, though I think it might get a bit overcrowded. Mainly I'm going to be working on the ground now, I think.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 02:30:47 am by brianskywalker »

Offline brianskywalker

• View Profile
    • sakana

Reply #28 on: March 21, 2008, 02:31:45 am
I have type for it now. It's an extended character set, probably will only ever use part of them.

There's also a project page for it at my website. it's got an in-progress storyline, so it's not final. http://kid-made.com/brian/mr-jerry.html

Offline brianskywalker

• View Profile
    • sakana

Reply #29 on: April 03, 2008, 04:38:05 am
Sorry for the triple post, this is on the second page and I wanted people to see it.

Here's another mock up. It's still a bit of a WIP but it does have some interesting things in it.