AuthorTopic: sidescroller mockup [WIP]  (Read 13956 times)

Offline brianskywalker

• View Profile
    • sakana

Re: sidescroller mockup [WIP]

Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 10:40:11 pm
next vursion!

Here's what I did:

fixed bg so the curves are closer to that elusive maximum efficiency and fixed the AA in general
added random things and shadows
small edits

so that pirate robot wearing geta behind that Jerry fellow isn't colored because I wanted some C&C on that a bit first. I'm going to remove the outline, methinks, because it really doesn't match the rest of of the objects in it. since everybody's hypersensitive about references here, I used an old math sheet from 1979 that happened to have some weird robots with ice skates on it.

When I did the robot, I also happened to notice that Mr. Jerry doesn't lean into his run at all. So I'm probably going to try to make him lean into his run a bit too. Also: I'm afraid of plants.

Edit: Oh I also finished texturing the ground.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 11:41:53 pm by brianskywalker »

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 05:09:26 pm
Reminds me of toejam and earl 2, especially from this clip bout 5 minutes in where you just run and run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEz4c9zwefI

could give you some ideas.

no need for those shadows atall imo, at least not so dark.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 07:58:12 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline brianskywalker

• View Profile
    • sakana

Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 07:33:44 am
Here's my latest version. I got rid of the shadows and finished the geta-wearing robot.

I also added a bonus meter, so for each stage there will be three bonus stars. At the end of each stage, if you have gotten all stars, you can play a minigame. Anyways I gotta sleep.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 11:42:16 pm by brianskywalker »

Offline brianskywalker

• View Profile
    • sakana

Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 08:11:48 am
Well this is probably my final version, so critiques would be nice if you have any.

Mainly, I edited the sun (mostly AA and some repositioning), and worked on the bonus part of the hud a bit. Everything else is just minor edits and some palette adjustment. 14 colors.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 11:42:35 pm by brianskywalker »

Offline Nebopolassar

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 06:13:25 am
It looks like the object of the game is to race throught the stage kind of like Sonic the Hedgehog. If so, that would be pretty awesome. Anyway, like people have said, the art style is very nice. Hahah, I guess I don't actually have any real critique... Oh well. Good job so far!

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 09:43:06 am
I really like where you're going with this one.
Here's a few nit-picks:

The AA on the sky and sun doesn't work for me. I think it looks better without.
The ground looked the best in mock-up 3. After that it started to look flat because the pattern in the dithering is applied on the picture plane and not from above.
The dithering gives the sand a nice texture, you just need to make it look like it's lit from the angle of the sun.

There's a mix on contrast on the robot and the guy.

There's banding/jagginess on the hearth.
You could shape the star more like a pentagon. The three stars at the top are OK, the big one is not.

Why are there fish bones in the desert?

Offline brianskywalker

• View Profile
    • sakana

Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 01:14:11 am
I'll work on what you said, especially the lighting on the sand. But how do you mean about a "mix on contrast"?

It's not exactly a desert, just a fairly empty beach. I should probably add some beachier things, eh?

Offline brianskywalker

• View Profile
    • sakana

Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 09:25:36 pm
Ok.. I think I've gotten everything Robotacon said.

Is it any better, or have I ruined it even more? :/
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 11:42:55 pm by brianskywalker »

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 11:43:47 pm
I liked the sky better when it was orange, but other than that it's a good edit. I like the style.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 12:18:06 am
Reminds me of Wallace and Gromite on the moon episode. The GUI looks very good  :y:. I would say that the characters might've been improved by drawing it in that way where you draw the basic shapes first (constructive drawing?). I think a few little things are wrong: the position of the left arm of robot is too far to the left if the arms are supposed to be tilted outwards. Also bottom curve of body doesn't fit with bottom curve of head. Right foot of robot seems too tilted away from us. For man, length of feet not same, as with forearm and shins.

The robot running looks good. Maybe for man, can have his left most foot tilted. Also shift him up a few pixels.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi