AuthorTopic: [WIP?] Custom tiles, need improvement and modivation  (Read 2583 times)

Offline Master_of_Power

• View Profile

[WIP?] Custom tiles, need improvement and modivation

on: January 25, 2008, 11:25:27 pm
Alright, first note, these graphics are old (probably 6 months?) and I just lot motivation to continue working on them, which isn't a good thing.

Second, this is a screenshot from the Zelda Game Engine Zelda Classic, so there IS an HUD.

One thing, I'd also like to point out, as well, is the stone pathway tiles aren't mine. They were used as a temporary place holder at the time, and I ment to replace it.

I've actually quit using the system for quite some time, now, and am going to expand the palette.

For what IS actually mine, is there anything that looks wrong? horrid? Ghastly? What points can I improve?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 11:31:26 pm by Master_of_Power »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP?] Custom tiles, need improvement and modivation

Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 06:38:54 am
The individual sprites are okay, but the result is messy and chaotic. Create a uniform style dragging attention to what is important.

Offline mobichan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Licker

Re: [WIP?] Custom tiles, need improvement and modivation

Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 06:58:00 pm
In general, it looks like everything is very busy (visually) and it all sort of blends together.  The sprites look nice out of context, but they just don't read when composed in the scene.  You might want to consider less saturation or brightness for things that should "recede" visually and add brightness, contrast and/or saturation for things that "advance" visually.  Also, consider making the ground tiles less busy by making them have larger shapes (all the rocks, dirt and grass blades are visually similar in size).

Things like the bricks just draw you eye too much because they have a lot of contrast and a very tiny, repeating pattern.  You could try "implying" bricks rather than just drawing each brick individually.  By this I mean only drawing a corner of a select few bricks here and there.  Or just add a small highlight to a couple bricks (not every one).

The trees and bushes need more brightness and contrast to make them stand out over the ground.  You might also consider making the ground or trees a slightly different color, so that it all isn't a similar tone of green.  Maybe define a shadow color that you can work into all tiles.

Even though they aren't the tiles you made, I thnk the most successful tiles right now are the path of cobblestones.  They read very clearly and your eyes are drawn to them (which is what you would hope a path would do in a game).

Overall, I think these tiles have a lot of promise.  I often find I have to work and rework my color choices once I actually put the tiles together, so I don't think it's an easy process.  You just get better with practice.  Hope this helps.   :)