AuthorTopic: New Sprite: Yog-Sothoth  (Read 7253 times)

Offline absinthelord

• View Profile

New Sprite: Yog-Sothoth

on: January 21, 2008, 09:50:23 pm
Sprite: Yog-Sothoth, The Gate

I'm a little ticked at myself for making the shape of this so starfish-like, but it'll do for now... I'll make a second version when I have time.

9 colors, made with GraphicsGale

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: New Sprite: Yog-Sothoth

Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 10:51:52 pm
1. I suggest you stick to 1 topic for all your lovecraft sprites
2. What are you gonna do with these, makes me curious

You could make this one way more messy, way more tentacle, possibly multiple mouths in there as well.

Offline absinthelord

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 11:03:37 pm
yeah, I should just post these in one topic (no one seems to really comment on them anyways)  ;D

I have a good idea for a game with an original story called Dark Harvest (which I have actually written already). This will be based on the Call of Cthulhu role-playing game... The game and story is quite complicated and will take me quite a long time to complete without help, so It will be an ongoing project (it is quite art-intensive). All of these sprites will not necessarily be used in the game, but in practicing and developing my color selection, highlighting, and shading techniques, I thought I would stick to the topic. Animation practice is next, I think. Thanks for responding and asking!

Yeah, the whole Yog-sprite is too uniform... I love the look of it, in general, but it doesn't have the other-worldly feel that I was going for. Design problem this time as opposed to color and shading...

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 11:05:31 pm
Up the contrast.  especially with all the spherical things, the gaps between could become very dark.  i'd try and use brighter highlights as well to make it more slimey.

Offline absinthelord

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 11:38:31 pm
Hmm, looks pretty good with a little extra contrast.... thanks!

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 01:18:38 am
needs
A. more midtones
b. dithering/cleaning up the sketchy parts of the shading.
untz untz untz?

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 01:27:39 am
I somewhat disagree with both ecks request for more midtones and ferons for more contrast, though I'm no expert on colors.
Imo what you need to do is utilize the colors on the first draft better. You've got the two darkest tones cramped up in the mouth, why not use 'em more? They could add alot of depth to the body. Also, I'd imagine a tentacly bad boy like this one would be kinda slimy, right now it looks more metallic. A last thing that could spice this one up a lot is texture. Go mess it up a bit, make it more organic!

I've tried to address some of the issues I'm talking about in this quick edit:

Hope you can find use for it

Looking forward to seeing this develop

/vedsten

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 01:39:36 am
superb edit vedsten, I agree you've got the colours there in your palette already and its a shame not to make the most of it.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline absinthelord

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 02:36:02 am
This is a fabulous idea... It add just what was needed to the sprite. Thanks for the edit, I hadn't visualized that type of texture, and that was quite inspiring.  :)

here's a start:

« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 02:57:16 am by absinthelord »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 08:57:05 am
thats looking much better.  how about a bit more creative palette, and some hue shifting :)

for example:

keep it up!

Offline #36005A

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 12:05:08 pm
Great improvement, absinthelord. Feron, I think I prefer the original palette, although some changes could be made while keeping the warmth of the original. I just think the palette you chose takes it in a different direction and makes it look somehow less slimy and sticky. I think the warm colors of the original bring that out more.

Offline absinthelord

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 11:01:32 pm
Thanks for the compliments, comments and suggestions  :) .... Here is the final:

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 09:27:57 am
Hmmz, I suggest to up the contrast once again (mainly on the left side), then add soem uniform parts, like a mouth in one of the tentacles

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 12:18:19 pm
Have you been considering hue shifts like this? My edit adds a few more colours and is very crude and not pixel perfect, but maybe demonstrates what I'd like to see here. Good design in all, can't wait to see your version of Azatoth.

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 02:21:59 pm
Good to see your willing to put a good amount of effort into this

Still have a couple of issues tho, if you're willing to go that extra mile.

I'll sidestep that whole hue shift issue, since I think there are more important stuff to improve on.

Colors: You're still not taking full advantage of your pallet. On my edit i used the near-white from the teeth to make up some really bright highlights here and there, to make it look slimy. Also, you still got an extra color in the mouth (the near-black) you can use to further improve the feeling of depth with.

Shading: I like the fact that your edit looks less metallic, personally, I think you went a bit over the top though. The rough shading somewhat resembles dithering and is not suited for the piece if you're going for a slimy look. Overall you should make the shading more smooth, it looks kinda random and jagged and really reduce the overall quality of this piece.

Design: The mouth should be integrated much more in the overall design. It looks like someone pooped a mouth on him

Otherwise, a good improvement from the first draft

/vedsten