AuthorTopic: Lick it oldskool! A couple of my C64-works. First post!  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Arch

• View Profile
    • Pixels
Hey, cool site!   :)

This is my first post here. I am a long time demoscener, and I have pixelled on both the Amiga and the Commodore 64 for some years.

Here are a couple of things I did for the Commodore 64. Theme: oldskool hardware and licking. Go figure. Anyway, I hope you like them!  :D

These are done in FLI-mode, which basically means that they are 16 colours altoghether and 4 colours+background colour per char - but with some strange pixel placement restrictions to go. I've moved over to Multicolour mode now, which allows only 3 colours+background colour per char but with less restrictions when it comes to placing your pixels. Anyway, you can read all about it here: http://www.studiostyle.sk/dmagic/gallery/gfxmodes.htm.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 02:23:05 pm by Arch »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Lick it oldskool! A couple of my C64-works. First post!

Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 02:24:23 pm
Hi Archmage, I know those already of course :D Nice to see you here.

What do you mean with FLI having more restrictions than MCOL. Also FLI is a bit more complicated than 4+bg, no.
Something like you have a global bg colour (which you could change per line technically) then you have 2 free colours per 4x1 pixels and one fixed colour per char or something like that.

Looking forward to seeing more stuff from you.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Arch

• View Profile
    • Pixels

Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 02:37:57 pm
What do you mean with FLI having more restrictions than MCOL. Also FLI is a bit more complicated than 4+bg, no.
Something like you have a global bg colour (which you could change per line technically) then you have 2 free colours per 4x1 pixels and one fixed colour per char or something like that.

Something like that, yes... I was just doing a non-qualified and non-technical version of it. :P But my point is that it is harder to pixel in FLI due to all the workarounds you have to do, but of course the end result will be better and shinier. MCOL is pretty straight forward from a workflow perspective in comparison.

And thanks for your welcome btw! I like your stuff a lot!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 02:43:18 pm by Arch »

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 04:26:25 pm
oo inspirational stuff arch, won't begin to pretend to know what you're both talking about. Flawless stuff all the same..

Welcome.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..