AuthorTopic: [WIP] my first avatar...  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Stefano

• 10 different types of soup
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile

[WIP] my first avatar...

on: January 15, 2008, 12:04:29 am
As stated the title (wippy wiping wip):

I kinda like it, which is a hard thing when it comes to stuff I did.

Please feel free to say whatever yanks your crank. (about my avatar, of course).

Cheers,
-Stefano

PS. Hum. Looked good on ProMotion but it seems a bit too dark, compared to the forum BG color.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: [WIP] my first avatar...

Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 03:50:07 pm
Well you obviously know what you're doing, so only nitpicks for you.

A: I'd keep the vertical line there so the panelling works, from a design standpoint. Also, if you're going to dither-smooth long lines, dither them a bit more perhaps? One pixel is just noisy.

B: That color you were AAing the text with didn't work, in my opinion. If you think otherwise, consider monitor calibration!

C: Why have that line broken, really? This sort of pixel art is nice to zoom in on and study, and I don't see a reason for the broken line there.

D: Thought about bridging dithering with 25% dither and styledither? Might be a good idea. Search the forum for threads by Arachne for more on how to do this succesfully.

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 01:40:04 pm
Only crit is the cut-off eye.
I don't think there's anything on the other side of the face that justifies that. I'd move the portrait 3-4 pixels to the right within it's frame and draw the whole eye.
Speaking of that eye, the rightmost edge is oddly-shaped.
i

Offline Stefano

• 10 different types of soup
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile

Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 06:26:56 pm
Well you obviously know what you're doing, so only nitpicks for you.
If you really mean that Helm, I feel like I've just taken a step towards the right direction. Thanks.

Now to your comments:
A: I see what you mean. Originally that dark area was part of the hairline and should have received the same treatment as the chin puff (thus preserving both the dark-hue depth and maintaining it's vertical aspect).
Hadn't really thought about the single pixel dither, but I agree it looks kind of choppy.

B: LOL! You caught me. Basically I was just trying to add an extra AA using an existing color hopping it would go unnoticed.

C: Yeah, I've considered both options. Breaking the line seemed like a better path to take (at least to my eyes), since:
1. doesn't feel like "selout" in this case, meaning the broken line in question blends well to both sides it is in contact with.
2. but I guess my main motivation was reducing the...
|
 \__ -> ...angled feeling I get when part of a curve have to be made of several single pixels in diagonal. It feels that no matter what I do, that flattening stair of pixels always screw up my curves.  :mean:

Dithering as Arachne would be a dream come true. I've always loved her outstanding dithering skills and was hoping maybe she'd drop by to give me a hand.
I guess I'll look at her works and practice some more and see if my non-50% dithering start looking less like crap.

Ikke,

I see what you mean, man. I agree it's more logical composition wise, but I dunno... in this specific case it isn't bothering me.
Maybe because it looks like a photo taken a few milliseconds later than it should have been...

Anyway, can't say I have any strong arguments to say this: it just doesn't bother me.
I'll definitely give your sugestion a shot, just to see if I'm missing something you could see.

Thanks a lot for helping me.  :y:

Cheers,
-Stefano