AuthorTopic: [WIP] Weekly challenge - Rework of my first (runescape) pixelart  (Read 3720 times)

Offline skoby

• View Profile
This weeks challenge is to rework the first pixel you submitted to Pixeljoint, however I submitted my first lastnight so instead I'm doing my first ever pixelart (not sure if they will let me enter still but still it's a good challenge I just dont get a ribbon thing).

Main issues I've got are the clothing and Im not happy with my perspective, think its too steep for this scale, but will mean redoing a lot of work  :(.  Also his position doesnt look right, I'm not great at anatomy (bit of an understatement) and I think was a bit ambitious crossing his legs. 

Offline Zombiemambo

• View Profile
Looks pretty good, though I think the textures on the wood and stone look way too repetitive and busy.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
INCOMING HARSH CRITIQUE:

1 - stop working on a bright white background
2 - find me a photo of tiles that actually look like that
3 - find me a photo of wood that actually looks like that
4 - need to hit up some references and do some studying on how perspective works
5 - some clothing references would be a big help too!

That's not to say this isn't a MASSIVE improvement over the original already.  however, most of the improvement have been on the surface.  major problems with perspective, anatomy, and lighting & volumes remain a major stumbling block.  Do you supplement your pixeling with traditional arts as well?

Offline skoby

• View Profile
I have no background in art at all, I did gcse art but apart from that it's mostly pixel art.  I wanted to take up art after I left school but my mother refused to let me do art and graphics when I had done soo well in maths and science, so pixelart is just a hobby whilst at university.

1) hadn't really thought about that, will stop doing that now.
2) & 3) I will find some references before redoing them.  I was quite happy with them but now I looked at photos of wood and tiles I realised how far off I was :(
4) Ok, I had looked at one sort of tutorial I found on google, probably missinterpreted it I will look for more
5) will look at the clothes again, I knew they weren't right so will just work

Don't worry about the harsh critique, I joined this site so I could see artist's work and get critique from people who know what they are doing, whereas before I had only relied on friends and people who only knew runescape-pixelart.  Just a shame got soo much reworking to do, and got revision as well so I doubt will finish this challenge in time now
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:11:27 pm by skoby »

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile
On a positive note, your second attempt looks better than some of the graphics in runescape.

You've definitely made a vast improvement but Adam puts the critiquing quite well. While you're at it, I'd suggest studying color theory as well. The color choices of the first piece clash in a very unfortunate way and the colors in the second piece look very uninspired. Instead of shading pieces in monotone, try to incorporate other colors. Wood, for instance, would do well with more saturated yellows towards the brights and ambiguous gray-blues towards the darker end. Of course you could use purples in place of the gray-blues but, they like to get overdone and set the tone in a completely different way.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
I'm glad I was able to help, you have a good attitude and if you keep it up you will almost certainly succeed in a big way, regardless of whether or not you make an arbitrary deadline!