AuthorTopic: Platform Sprites  (Read 4327 times)

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Platform Sprites

on: December 28, 2007, 02:14:01 pm
Hello all,
I want to practice with atonomy, characters and animations, so im making some sprites. Please tell me what you think, give crits and make edits :)

Greets,
Lollige

Jay:

Alex:

Bob:

« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 03:52:56 pm by lollige »

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Re: Platform Sprites

Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 06:33:38 pm
Nice character designs, and nice choice of colors. The animation of Jay's idle stance is well done. I like that each one has a unique stance.
Are these characters based off of any people? Friends perhaps?  ;D

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 10:09:56 am
Sorry for the late reply, I did not expect anyone to reply here anymore ;)
These people are not based on anyone. pure my creations. They all have a different pose indeed, but I cant think of any new ones :|
also I do not like my animations, I really want c&c on that..

at the moment I am making these for other people on some dutch GM forum aswell, thisone is made for there:

another crappy animation (hands are good, but breathing is rubbish..)

and even worse:

Offline #36005A

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 03:17:09 am
another crappy animation (hands are good, but breathing is rubbish..)

and even worse:

really like the character design on this one, just a couple of crits (really just opinion, absolutely not based on experience..):
the stance is a bit unbalanced. try standing up like that in real life. you're putting in a small amount of effort just to keep yourself from falling, no? i see what pose you were attempting, and you came very close to it - just try moving the shoulders back just a tiny, little bit and the ankles/feet forward some. the first animation is okay, especially, as you said, the hands. i would suggest making his hair and shoulders move ever so subtly, with "subpixel" technique.
in the second animation, it kind of looks like he's drunkenly swaying while trying to stand straight up; he's had a few too many :)

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 08:04:46 pm
I used myself as referennce for the pose, but ill try and change things here and there..
Subpixeling does not work on standard computer screens right? only on lcd I tought!

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 08:45:39 pm
He's not talking that kind of subpixel, he's talking about just using movement that doesn't effect the outline.
I'd dig up an example for you, but my internets a dick, so... It's used quite prominently on the Metal Slug main character sprites.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)