AuthorTopic: [WIP] Weird Space Magic Hair Guy...thing..... o.0  (Read 4810 times)

Offline Code_wizard

• Dance you little elf, dance I say!
    • View Profile

[WIP] Weird Space Magic Hair Guy...thing..... o.0

on: January 09, 2008, 07:05:50 pm
When I started this piece was trying to do some kind of abstract new age shape thing...but I ended up giving him a (semi) normal body. Hes dressed in what looks like a space age fashion trend of the future, I guess. And for some reason he is magical.... umm yeah... :P....I am currently hating the hand with a passion, any suggestions would help. I tried layering the spell effect over the hand, but it became unrecognizable/blurry at normal viewing size. Not sure what to do with the hair or face either.  :-\

Small Edit: (Bah now I cant decide which one)

More edits:

1/10/08 --------  1/11/08 (Latest)

Final:

I mostly just want comments/suggestions on those three parts, but feel free to critique anything in the piece most harshly as it is the only way I will improve.

If it were not for a few nice commenters a few weeks ago I would still be drawing things like this ->

Makes me want to gag.... :crazy:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 05:51:53 am by Code_wizard »

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Weird Space Magic Hair Guy...thing..... o.0

Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 04:53:57 am
The space-man looks interesting. I can't tell what's going on with his hand though. The last edit looks pretty nice.

As for the last one, looks really flat. It also looks incomplete, so I guess it's a work in progress.
Keep at it and practice, practice, practice!

Oh, and I suggest you do your work on a grey background. It's a neutral color that doesn't really effect any other colors greatly.

Offline Code_wizard

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 05:35:19 am
Thanks for the tip

The hand is supposed to be out front with the palm facing away from him and his fingers spread.

The other flat one was an abandoned project I started a few weeks ago when I started pixeling for the first time. I was using it to show how much I had grown in the past few weeks thanks to the help from the users on this forum   :)

Offline Code_wizard

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 06:52:02 pm
Update: Decided to do away with the open hand thing cause I could not get it to work, still working on the arm holding the staff...

Offline Leaf

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 11:49:50 pm
It looks like if you took his hat off, he would have most of his head cut off.

Here's what I mean:

The yellow line is where the head would be.
Kind of hard to explain. It makes it seem as if he only has about an inch of head in the hat.

Also, the hat is huge off to one side. It looks like it would just fall off him.

Offline Code_wizard

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 07:03:10 am
It looks like if you took his hat off, he would have most of his head cut off.

Here's what I mean:

The yellow line is where the head would be.
Kind of hard to explain. It makes it seem as if he only has about an inch of head in the hat.

Also, the hat is huge off to one side. It looks like it would just fall off him.
Thanks for the help, but its supposed to be angular, unrealistic, and exaggerated.......and hair.....hmmmm

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 03:17:48 pm
Another thing Leaf should point of is the banding on that area. Try to fix that.

Offline Code_wizard

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 05:55:56 am
Another thing Leaf should point of is the banding on that area. Try to fix that.
Thanks for the tip. I tried to fix the facial banding the best I could...didn't really put my heart into it. Tried a few different things with the hair, couldn't find anything I liked. I have learned a lot from this piece, but it is time to move on. I posted the final version. There are a lot of things I wish I could fix about it, but I am happy with the final result non the less. Thanks to everyone who helped me along. Now...what to do next!