AuthorTopic: [WIP] Weekly challenge-star fox mock up - Updated!!  (Read 2484 times)

Offline skoby

• View Profile

[WIP] Weekly challenge-star fox mock up - Updated!!

on: January 12, 2008, 08:25:59 pm

My first ever mock up, the challenge was to make a pixel art version of a 3d game.  I don't have a reference apart from a youtube clip I watched to remind me of the game.

Sorry for such a brief post last night, my gf came round earlier than expected so didnt go into any detail.  This is my first challenge entry for pixeljoint. Like I said most of it was done by memory and from looking at a youtube clip.  Im not too sure on my tiling and the "3D" background (Ive not done much isometric work and this is the first time tried to do tiles) but I feel the tiles fit in fairly well and dont look too tiled. They are very basic but theres no blatently obvious repitition.  Also the charactors/trees/building dont work as tiles, I was a bit rushed and had trouble with the isometric tiling.

I really enjoyed doing this tho and its got me in the mood for doing more mock ups, but since I have exams next week it will have to be put on hold (along with various unfinished projects :( )
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 05:39:07 pm by skoby »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: [WIP] Weekly challenge-star fox mock up - Updated!!

Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 06:15:09 pm
first of all, many positive associations with captain skyhawk!  this is a good thing.  second, you have way too much dithering, not nearly enough contrast, and your color choices could use a lot of work!  don't be afraid to think really critically about your textures as you work the piece.  e.g., some of your blades of grass are 3 pixels tall, even down there in the background, which is about as tall as your arwing's cockpit is long.  Trees aren't spheres!  If the tower is tilted (according to the texture and sides) how come the top is still flat?  Think critically!  Squint at your work, and be a jerk to yourself, it will pay off in the end!