AuthorTopic: [WIP] "Space Wreck" (New to Pixel Art)  (Read 3330 times)

Offline Jason-Lavoie

• View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

[WIP] "Space Wreck" (New to Pixel Art)

on: January 04, 2008, 01:32:28 pm
Hey everyone, my name's Jay and this is my first time here at Pixelation and I have to say, I'm loving everything I have seen and heard so far.

I'm really new to Pixel Art but I absolutely love this type of art form. I've been doing 3D modeling for over 4 years now (Currently taking Game Design and Development at Durham College in Oshawa Ontario) which is a bit different from Pixel Art  :P, but I have always wanted to try this art form. So in the past couple of days (going back to College tomorrow) I've started working on this little dude... don't know his name yet, so bare with me... call him purple fat guy if ya want :)

So I think it's pretty obvious I have no clue what I'm doing (learning as I go , and also finding as many tutorials as I can). I've been reading some topics in here, and it seems like the number of colours you use is very important, so I'm not sure if I used too many colours or not :(

Because I'm really interested in Game Design (and developing) I'll be using this character (along with a couple of baddies) to make a quick little platformer using Multimedia Fusion (great software!) in hopes that I will learn new interesting and awesome things along the way. But right now I feel a bit lost... The character was really hard to do (for a noob like myself... and there is still so many cycles to do) but when I started concepting a level... I really had NO CLUE how to translate it from paper onto computer... and it seems like dithering is used HEAVILY in pixel environment pieces... which I am also confused with.

And this is where I am stuck at the moment... and I'm hoping you guys and gals could share your knowledge and skill with a noob like myself, and point me in the right direction :)

Oh... and also, when I uploaded my Run.gif file (using imageshack) the cycle was EXTREMELY fast, is there any way I can slow it down when I upload the piece (it runs fine on my windows picture viewer... thing).

Thanks again everyone, I'm extremely excited to start learning, and I absolutely love the community here, so thanks very much.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 07:40:03 pm by Jason-Lavoie »

Offline Hideo

• and you are too ?
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] "Space Wreck" (New to Pixel Art)

Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 02:12:23 pm
nice colors, but i think gun more smooth than face. i think face need a bit more AA
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 02:48:01 pm by Hideo »

vodka matreshka ikra eltsin gorbatchev xD

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 07:14:23 pm
Hi there and welcome to Pixelation! ^_^

I want to first say that I love your positive, proactive attitude. You're already giving me the enthusiasm to get off my lazy tushie today and do some pixeling!

As for your pixel art, I have to first applaud your bold decission to make a game that plays in 1x view. That's alot of big pixel work ahead of you, and you're off to a good start. I really like your character design. And I can visualize the running from the frames you have there. Looks very smooth. hehe

Looks like you really know what you're doing. My only suggestion is to do some anti-aliasning on the lines.

Good luck and keep at it.  :)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 06:35:39 pm
Hey Jason, welcome!  Windows Picture Viewer has a very high minimum playback speed, of like 0.2 seconds per frame or something, so if your gif is built at 0.05 or 0 seconds per frame, it will appear to run fine in picture viewer, but be superfast on the web.  I definitely would not bother with dithering yet, but I would work on throwing away your outlines, and focusing on selling your shape with volumes instead.