AuthorTopic: Style Imitation Portraits 7.3/15  (Read 34455 times)

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Re: Style Imitation Portraits 5.85/15

Reply #50 on: January 18, 2008, 04:47:14 pm
avoid banding!

guilty as charged  :blind:

Adarias would you mind being more specific about what you see as worse? In regards to this portrait or the fisheyeish update or the style immitation? etc...

Terley yeah I agree with you its been bugging me for a while. I think I set out on this one from the wrong direction. Ah well. Thanks for the edit some useful ideas there :y:

Helm I agree with your point regarding learning about an artist's style from a single piece. I tried to clarify in my first post i'd be imitating 'a selected' work not 'their' work. I don't pretend to be learning about each artist's work on this timescale. Although I do think I'm learning about the techniques they've used in the specific piece.

The conflict between style and content is an interesting one. One that I feel adds to the challenge of what I am trying to achieve. These stylistic restrictions force me to think of an alternative way of achieving my end result - taking me out of my comfort zone.

I try (I am easily distracted) to start each piece by setting out some rules that I derive from the selected work. I understand that these rules may not be what the artist was thinking. Even if I've deciphered their thought process the techniques and approach they used will have been derived from what they were trying to achieve with respect to the specific content etc. So that means that there may well be better ways to approach to my pieces, approaches the artist's themselves may use, but its fun to work with restrictions. It's also enjoyable to see and learn what I can change and what I can't while maintaining a stylistic link. There's a balance to be struck.

I suppose what I'm doing is approaching it as if someone said to me here's a portrait we've already got and we need one for another guy that will look fine next door to the original.

So both Terley and ilkke are right.

This last one I would definitely start over differently - I would draw a stylised sketch and work it up. But then I've learnt some great stuff going the way I did  ;D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 04:49:27 pm by willfaulds »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #51 on: January 18, 2008, 05:23:03 pm
I try (I am easily distracted) to start each piece by setting out some rules that I derive from the selected work. I understand that these rules may not be what the artist was thinking.

That's totally alright, the problem in the critique process occurs when other people have derived different 'rules' from that one piece of art and then hang it on you that you're 'breaking' the style. Are the buggy eyes in the latest a style issue in the original piece, or does the character actually have buggy eyes? Will the original artist draw many faces with buggy eyes or not? That's othe only way to tell. So when you derive a ruleset from your understanding of the style, which is totally fine, I would suggest you post it along with your piece so the people trying to help focus on your interpretation of the style rather than what they'd do if they were doing the same excersise as you.

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: January 18, 2008, 10:13:40 pm
Helm - will do. Although I also find it interesting to see what people crit regarding style as its an interesting subjective topic  ;D

Anyway update tried to take on board all crits and found Terley's edit particularly useful  :y:

=> =>
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 12:51:45 am by willfaulds »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: January 18, 2008, 11:49:28 pm
Adarias would you mind being more specific about what you see as worse? In regards to this portrait or the fisheyeish update or the style immitation? etc...

The original that you are working from and the first version you did stick to caricatured yet reasonable proportions, while the update forgets these and looks very alien.  You've taken the colors from the original and used them well in the first try, but in the second you've forgotten about cleanliness and used them in places that they don't align.  At this point, good technique and even style imitation seem lost in the process.

Yes though, everything is deeper, which could be worth it for your growth.  It just worries me to see what was sacrificed thusfar.

My advice for this piece regardless of the shapes and sizes - step back, and look at how many shades you have.  Each of those shades is a distinct level in your sculpture.  Each shift has the potential to describe planes, too, which your piece could really use.  Right now you have 3, maybe four distinct levels, and a few planes, but you are using all of your shades right on top of each other which makes it more lumpy than sculptural.  The nose recedes as much as it comes forward so that it feels hardly closer than anything else.  It receives the same shadowing on both sides which further flattens.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #54 on: January 19, 2008, 12:16:54 am
My advice for this piece regardless of the shapes and sizes - step back, and look at how many shades you have.  Each of those shades is a distinct level in your sculpture.  Each shift has the potential to describe planes, too, which your piece could really use.

Excellent, excellent advice. Said what I was trying to formulate in my mind properly in just two lines.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #55 on: January 19, 2008, 12:32:37 am
it's a lot harder than I made it sound tho, here's my best attempt at a quick edit (no attempts made to hold to style of original):

I stuck in the midtones for the most part, there's MUCH more you can do than what this shows.  There are a good 5-6 shades i haven't explored, and my shifts are perhaps more gentle than they should be, particularly the left his right of the nose.  It's a fine balance between too gentle and too harsh.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 12:37:42 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: January 19, 2008, 01:00:08 am
excellent. thankyou i really appreciate the time taken :y: i'll study it well and start this one over. once i'm finished with the rest i think. becoming a little 'worked' in my eyes
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 01:08:07 am by willfaulds »

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #57 on: January 19, 2008, 02:05:38 am
Seems to me that just 'unclogging' the nose would be a quick cheap save for the piece, regardless of chiseling it out (or not)
i

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: January 19, 2008, 05:27:44 am
i can't sleep and can't help but fiddle.

ilkke could you explain a little more or do a rough edit?

=>

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Re: Style Imitation Portraits 6.1/15

Reply #59 on: January 19, 2008, 07:00:33 pm
i've chosen my next victim :D [updated in first post]

but before getting involved with the likeness i thought i'd try and familiarise myself with the ega palette and think about the recent advice i've been given.

the result: =>

enjoyed that!

(border is ptoing's)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 08:12:29 pm by willfaulds »