AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 281991 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #610 on: May 27, 2008, 10:37:16 pm
Asslicker :D

Actually the - stuff is strikes and the + is cookies. Which you get for giving good critique and such. cookies can also be used to kill off strikes. But if you get a strike all the cookies get taken away from you and you have to start from 0!

All in all it is just an easier way for us to deal with strikes as well as encouraging (hopefully) to make good crits.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #611 on: May 27, 2008, 11:00:45 pm
do i not get a cookie for asslicking?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #612 on: May 28, 2008, 01:22:37 am
No, strikes are more likely. No ass-patting on Pixelation  >:( This place is serious  >:( Not where you make friends  :yell: You hear me?  :mean: I am serious  :ouch:

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #613 on: May 28, 2008, 01:51:48 am
Friends distract one from art.

The time I took to write this, I took away from pixels. I stole it from them. Who knows what retribution they have in mind?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:55:52 am by Godslayer »
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #614 on: May 28, 2008, 04:04:12 pm
I am the worst moderator evar - or at least this must be the worst 1000th post by a moderator evar.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #615 on: May 28, 2008, 04:45:58 pm
hahaha

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #616 on: May 28, 2008, 06:31:23 pm
Using the karma system for this is a cool idea, but I think the display should be changed, so it is "Cookies: X" and "Strikes: Y". That really shouldn't be hard, I'm pretty sure I can get this done in pretty short time although I've only looked at SMF once so far. And maybe some small tweaks here and there, that the cookies get killed automatically when adding a strike ;f

Edit: Oyea, Adam: I think that's actually a pretty badass 1000th post, fits very nicely :crazy:
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Beyond Good and Evil 2

Reply #617 on: May 29, 2008, 03:55:22 am
Has anyone seen the screenshots Ubisoft released from Beyond Good and Evil 2?

I am absolutely heartbroken. They took one of the most beautiful games ever made and pissed all over it. Remember how stylish and atmospheric the original was?

I am so frustrated with this trend in mainstrain gaming where every game has to look exactly the same - gritty, sunbleached, photorealistic and monochrome. It was bad enough with new IPs, now that they're going back and ruining OLD games, it's even worse. I would rather have one more game with art direction as beautiful as the first BG&G than a thousand more normal-mapped, depth-blurred, same-looking clones. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 03:58:25 am by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #618 on: May 29, 2008, 04:08:49 am
I don't know why everyone's being so bitchy about it, I think it looks great and is a fresh take on the character. Though I usually agree about ugly bleh brown I really think it works nicely here.

Plus I'm stoked, Beyond Good and Evil 2 wooooooo. :) First one was a masterpiece, no question.

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #619 on: May 29, 2008, 04:38:32 am
I never had the pleasure of playing the original "Beyond Good and Evil" (I will someday), but I agree 100% that the way games are trending towards to the gritty, gray and brown look is absolutely awful. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single one of those games that wouldn't benefit from some creative art direction or an extra little splash of colour. Super Mario Galaxy had some of my favourite graphics in recent gaming, mostly because of how awesomely vibrant everything was.

The state of game graphics today is disappointing to me in a way. My precious Wii is stuck with last-gen games for the most part because several companies keep trying to squeeze extra cash out by dumbing down the games to PS2-playable level while they're at it (and many of the others are half-assed minigame compilations, but that's irrelevant). On the other hand, most PS3 and 360 developers believe that they need to make "realistic games" with the extra power, resulting in a really boring colour scheme. So much wasted potential for everyone.

Sigh.

GAMES THAT I THINK ARE GETTING IT RIGHT:

Lostwinds (just nice overall)

Team Fortress 2 (this is what you could be doing with those fancy shaders!)

Super Mario Galaxy (colour everywhere!!)

Okami (creative art direction = win)

Crysis (proof that realism doesn't have to be drab)

THIS IS WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR!!

...Or at least what I'm looking for. Here ends my rant. I'll let someone else go.