AuthorTopic: Aldo's Adventure -> finished ? ^_____^  (Read 19842 times)

Offline cave

• Strawberries! :3
    • View Profile
    • Colocada

Re: Aldo's Adventure

Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 05:02:11 am
Okay, for the walking animation, you want to make his shoulders rotate but not his head, heads don't do that when people walk...

Actually, your guy doesn't have shoulders... hmm I say drop the head rotation and really try to exaggerate the movements of his limbs to make the walk more bouncy, you know, give him a spring in his step. Also you might want to try not having your character be seen in a perfect 90 degree side view, if you make it so he is slightly rotated towards the screen it will give him a whole lot more dimensionality.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 05:09:58 am by cave »

Offline thedaemon

• thedaemon
    • View Profile
    • personal website

Reply #21 on: January 20, 2008, 06:04:10 am

Try delaying the head or just breaking up the even action. Here is a small edit. I hope you don't mind. It looks pretty solid to me though. The only thing I would do different is try to incorporate a hop. He is after all a frog.
gemini://thedaemons.space
https://thedaemons.space

Offline the_ripper

• Copy4Mobile
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 01:01:01 pm
As cave suggested, i think it lacks exagerated movements. Makes him be more cartoonish.
The head generally focus on the direction where the characters walks, this , actually, more the body that will rotate than the head.
The arms shouldn't stay still during more than 1 frames at the extremity of the movement, it gives a slight feeling that it's a bit jerky (in comparison the legs looks good since they always have a different position) . Keeps him moving, even if it's one pixel, the result should be smoother.
Delaying the legs and the arms animation cycle of 1 or 2 frames should strenghten the cartoonish look.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 04:18:56 pm
It'd be cool if you embraced the character's quirky design and gave him a walkcycle to match. The generic walking loop isn't doing much for me. What if he skips, hops, or does something more frog-like?

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #24 on: January 27, 2008, 06:41:09 am
This has a great style and has evolved nicely.

But I think the setting has evolved away from the frog, or the frog hasn't evolved with the setting
as in, if I hadn't seen this gradually improve, I think I'd be wondering why it's a frog and not a human or something.

However, I think once you show some real level design, cliffs, water, etc, it will be better.
And the animation.. I think you're missing out on a good opportunity with a frog character and human animation, I suppose because you're aiming for a more traditional feeling of control, but I think something more frog-like (as BB said) would be neat.
Somewhere between this, and the frog in Donkey Kong Country would be perfect I think

can't wait to see more :)
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline madPXL

• PXL Crow
    • View Profile
    • madpxl.com

Reply #25 on: March 20, 2008, 01:34:33 am
since a while without update this topic too:)

first, thanks to all for yours constructive comments, I'm trying to get my best on this mock.
second : for the character of Aldo, it's a sort of human jinns with an appearance of a frog -> that's why it's look like an human.
but it's a good idea to put some hops on the animations, I will see it later when I will get time.

so this is the new one with some corrections and adds:

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: March 20, 2008, 03:01:19 am
really nice sprites and tiles
but i have a critique for ya
4 in fact
-Those trees.. I recommend you making its leaves bigger and add more contrast to the trunk. Check some real trees for references :)
-I suppose that rock is wip so...  but I would remove its outlines
-The bananas seems very polygonal, if thats your intention, then its ok lol
-The sign and the hud dont have a lot of wooden texture.

and one overall critique: donīt mix between outlined and without outlines sprites. It won't look ok. Just choose one of those.

Offline Godsent

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: March 20, 2008, 06:01:36 am
Well, it's all pretty much looking good accoring to me. The only thing that bugs me is the rather thick outline on the flowers in the foreground :P Keep it up

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 06:40:28 am
i'd say if you do any wood grain, do it lightly:

as for the outline on the rock, it's in keeping with the rest of the piece i think.  the range of values on the interior is what gives it too much priority imo.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #29 on: March 20, 2008, 09:10:47 am
Extremely good work. I'm getting goose bumps.

One nitpick I can see right now is how light is handled.
Objects seems to be lit from different directions.

As far as I can see you have 4 levels of depth. You should do more to distinguise them, border thickness is not enough.
Perhaps you can play more with saturation like you've done with the mountains.

I'd keep the walk because it look great but I'd add a froglike jump.
Anyone jumping their own height would need frogs legs no?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 09:14:41 am by robotacon »