AuthorTopic: Stone road tile.  (Read 8700 times)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: Stone road tile.

Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 12:11:22 pm
quick 10 minute edit:

hope you can get something from it...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 12:59:35 pm

could take a lot more work

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 01:12:08 pm
you need to make sure your floors aren't too contrasting otherwise your objects and characters will be lost. Feron's edit intensifies this but definately has more reality to it. Helm's edit speaks for itself, its just taking levels into consideration, you want to everything else to stand out above this floor yet still hold to same level of detailing.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Sabata

• View Profile
    • TownsLife

Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 02:40:01 pm
I was hopping that someone would guide me. :crazy:

I really like both of those edits, and will definitely try them out. Feron’s edit looks cool, quite realistic…. While Helm’s is very interesting, I liked the color change between stones.

Well since I first saw Feron’s edit I based my tile on his edit, and here is the result.

PS: Stoes aren't really roundy roundy =/
Maybe I should make them round?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 02:42:38 pm by Sabata »

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 03:40:37 pm
do you not think your character looks kinda lost over this floor,  your floor is too contrasting.

Just look at what happens when you just alter the contrast values less and more. when the characters colour range exeeds the floors darker and lighter tones it stands out much nicer. Looking at the what happens when the floors contrast is way too high gives you an idea that the game would really give you a headache trying to play because it'd be so hard trying to spot the character.

<---- ---->

You may like how feron went about his edit, but you need to take this into consideration because atm your version has this problem.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 08:06:18 pm
yeah i wasnt taking the fact that you will have stuff ontop... just showing how dither and aa can be used to make it look a lot more realistic.

they texture of mine is alright... but the palette was something i through on top in 2 secs... when tiling, especially background tiles that WILL go under your character, you have to pick your pallette very very carefully.  You should also try and create a unified pallette whilst you pixel it, rather than pixelling and adding the colors after (yeah i know its what i did, buts its wrong!) otherwise the colors may not work with the placement you have assinged them.

getting better, but i definitley suggest toning it down, maybe more like helms.

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 10:14:57 pm
Yeah, while Feron's may appear to be more realistic, Helm's way is probably better since it's interesting yet doesn't detract a lot of attention from the sprites. Keep in mind that the more contrast you give to an object, the more it'll pop out to the viewer, so what I suggest you do for these tiles is to use hue and saturation in order to convey shadow, instead of making the color darker.

yosh64

Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 07:42:44 am
hey

I just wanted to mention that I prefer your previous WIP over Feron's edit and over your current WIP, as I find them quite hard to read and I think they need some AA or something, and I prefer the color of your previous WIP. Hmm, they don't look more realistic to me either :\. I most prefer Helm's edit out of the lot, as it's very clear and has nice variation in stones, which I think makes really good use of the colors.

Something worth noting, is that after upgrading to an LCD monitor, pixels seem much clearer/distinct and it's much easier to see problems with AA. So if you are using a CRT monitor then this might be something to think about.

Anyhows that's about it. I think things are looking quite nice otherwise, :).

edit
I just wanted to add that maybe my thoughts would change if I saw the tiles together with everything else, like in a mockup, as I find it hard to be sure of things without seeing everything together :\.

cya's
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 08:00:25 am by yosh64 »

Offline Sabata

• View Profile
    • TownsLife

Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 11:13:12 pm
Hey people!
Thanks for the great advices! I really learned some stuff about contrast of tiles and sprites overall…. As for color choice, I actually never was able to choose color before starting pixeling, I always end up picking colors at the end. Any advice on how to change that?? Well actually I have some “almost defined colors” like skin color, maybe metal…. And the rest I come up whit while making sprite.

I’ll try the other style of tile after I finish my secret Santana.

Oh, and yosh I am using CRT monitor  :(

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 04:31:04 pm
You shouldn't ever make preset skin/wood/whatever palettes, because the mood of a piece varies every time so you have to adapt your color choice to the mood of the general piece instead. It's as if you had a predefined "character" template, it just won't work out if you make the scene separately then paste it in the canvas.