AuthorTopic: Christmas Competition Mockup  (Read 9703 times)

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Re: Christmas Competition Mockup

Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 04:37:06 pm
from where you are now, Id start to think, where shouldn't light reach? on the otherside of the hand, leading around the back of the cape, maybe shadow cast from the hand onto himself? and then think where will the light hit directly? as his hand's in the way mostly on the innerside of his hand, giving you the opportunity to shape it considerably. Maybe you could see where the hand does not shadow and hint some lighter areas to suggest change in the shape of the clothing, folds etc and even be daring enough to use some highlights on the face to give it more depth.

Break it down for yourself and imagine what you'd expect to see. With such a close and strong lightsource you can afford to up the contrast since a lot of light is being emitted.

Think the same for the girl too, since she would be effected too.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 04:39:12 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Zenobia

• View Profile
    • Zententia.net

Reply #21 on: December 05, 2007, 04:45:31 pm
*nods* ok, that helps. I'll give it a try.

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: December 05, 2007, 09:46:31 pm
It helps to think as if it were a 3D low-poly model. In fact I recommend getting into 3D modeling/technical drawing/draughtsmanship, that's how I learned a lot of what I know about lighting/shadows/reflection. Here's a quick image to help:

yosh64

Reply #23 on: December 06, 2007, 08:56:38 am
hey

Well I done another edit, this time with some light coming from the light thingy. I also done some other little things here and there. Anyhows the primary light source is still from above coming down to the right.

What I done was added some more purple shades to the palette, and made some of the shadows around the light thingy purple, and added some lighter purple highlights also.

Anyhows that's it.

edit
I just wanted to mention something when refering to 3d models for lighting. That is to be very careful, as you should only refer to the models that have been rendered properly with shadowing, and not just refer to things strait from the viewport. As in the viewport it's likely that each polygon is rendered independently without knowledge of it's surroundings, and thus you end up with a poor representation of light, without proper shadowing and such. I hope this makes sense, well compare something from the viewport to something that's been rendered properly and you will see.

But yea, the way realtime 3d graphics are usually rendered in games and such today is where by each polygon is rasterized (turned into pixels) independently, so the polygon currently being rendered has no idea about any other polygons that may surround it. Hmm, in a way you could say that the shadows, reflections, and refraction (the way light travels through objects) in games and such are all done by trickery ;).

Although there are other methods for rendering 3d graphics that more accurately represent light, but these are not well suited for realtime applications :\. You may have heard of some of these through the likes of buzz words such as raytracing, and radiosity.

cyas
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 09:44:12 am by yosh64 »

Offline Zenobia

• View Profile
    • Zententia.net

Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 01:26:59 pm
The light stuff really helped.
I usually don't have trouble with lightsources but the magic threw me off. Here's another edit (don't mind that hand, I still can't work it out x.x).

edit:

How about this. No right hand!
And by removing all the extra blue shades that crept in with the palette changes I got to add dark red and green and still be at 18 colours, which is 2 less than I even originally started with xP

« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 05:47:58 pm by Zenobia »