AuthorTopic: My First  (Read 10767 times)

Offline OneLongWord

• View Profile

Re: My First

Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 08:05:21 pm
Sorry for the double post... Although it was 6 months apart :P

I had forgotten about this site, but last month I tried to come to the site (after remembering it) and I kept getting errors and stuff like that, couldn't manage to get here, anyways here I am again. I only had 2 posts before, So I hope to get some more now makes some friends, learn some stuff. I haven't been pixelling too much, but a friend asked me if I wanted to make a game with him, So I've done a little bit of pixelling, much different to my ISO up there.

This is still a WIP. (though I'd use the same topic) Comments and such?

It's rather long, as it was suppose to be a level from a game. Just looking for comments basically and lots of feedback ^_^

I would also like some comments on palette as I'm never sure why colours to use.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 08:11:38 pm
although this is a tremendous imprvement, it seems to have some jpeg artifacts  :-X

also i tihnk for the dark collums, a tiny amount of light on both sides would make them feel a little more "there" instead of just glued in place.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline OneLongWord

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 09:29:20 pm
OMG I didn't save as Jpeg did I?! noob error  :'(

-EDIT-

no no, it's PNG

anyways, thanks ndchristie, here's a quick edit:

« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 09:35:05 pm by OneLongWord »

Offline megane

• /swt
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 10:33:23 pm
The architecture looks good, but your HUD is a little flat-looking, and it's sort of fuzzy and hard to read.  I think your image went through some lossy compression at some point.  In any case, how about something like this, to give it a bit more shape and definition?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 10:39:16 pm by megane »
ano hito wa jiku ga buretanai
suteki

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 10:51:06 pm
I believe photobucket has the resize option set to 800x600 by default. change it to one megabyte limit per image and you'll be set to go.

can't really make more comments until resize is fixed, but i like megane's HUD edit.

Offline OneLongWord

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 09:35:54 am
alkaline thanks for that, I had no idea those options were available on photobucket. I would have continues making the same mistake :P

megane that HUD, Is amazing, so much more depth then my original, it makes mine looks so poor. and I thank you :) I have edited mine and I used a lot from your edit, I hope thats okay, I kept the site I had which I am happy with, I did really like your idea for the cross or plus, We really hadn't though of that. You will notice mine does like very like yours, but yours is amazing, so I was just looking up to it in admiration.

Heres my edit for today at the moment:

Now that I see it up here, the HUD still doesn't look right, It's ONE pixel to high, which makes the numbers look odd, I may edit that in a sec. Anyway, thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated.

Offline ndrake

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 10:43:03 am
your iso art reminds me of a game called Holiday Island:
To bad it's a jpeg.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 10:45:14 am by ndrake »

Offline OneLongWord

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 12:03:16 pm
lol I see what you mean, but thats so much more advanced then my abilities :( I like the texture, It reminds me off Transport Tycoon:

Offline OneLongWord

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 01:44:51 pm
Big Update today, well long post at least.

Anyways, back to my SECOND pixel, I feel like I should tell you more about it.

My Friend and I were at work and our imagination runs wild while we're bored. We came up of the idea for a game called "Darkhest Hour" Obviously at first, we were both VERY ambition, thinking we're going to make this awesome 3D game with amazing graphics, kind of Devil May Cry like, after realizing we're just too young and too in experienced for that kind of thing, with neither of us knowing how to do any kind of 3d modeling or design which special wow programs on computers (sorry about my language, there, not that it was rude, just "special wow programs" wasn't very good :P)

So, Thinking about it a bit more, we decided a short DEMO version in Pixels would do the trick nicely, So I set off to make a background template with HUD and all that kinda thing, which you have already seen, and sadly hasn't developed much since =/

I'll give you a short description of the game soon, not today, my friend has yet to write it for me :P

Anyway, I have since made the main character, named: Nick Savage

Heres my very large unfinished sprite sheet:

I've yet to do

Jump
    Take Damage
    Death
    Crouching with crossbow (yes, that's a crossbow)
    And everything to do with a sword

I had ago at animations here,
Walk:

Walk with Crossbow:

This is all new to me and I can see things that just don't flow very well.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Offline Chungel

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 03:41:41 pm
Well I can't really comment on the animations, because I know nothing about the topic.  What I will say is that crossbows are quite heavy, too heavy to be held like your character is holding it.  Crossbows are usually held like any other firearm.  Although the man in this picture is right-handed, it might help you: http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/50/28/23052850.jpg
"Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name, but what's puzzling you is the nature of my game." - The Rolling Stones