AuthorTopic: Sidescrolling Ninja: idle sprite  (Read 8538 times)

Offline Kable

• View Profile

Sidescrolling Ninja: idle sprite

on: December 01, 2007, 08:04:54 am

I'd say just a quicky, but who am I kidding - it takes me forever to do anything!  ??? I'm not particularly happy about my color choice or how the cloth is lit on his baggy pants.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Sidescrolling Ninja: idle sprite

Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 09:47:47 am
The colors aren't very strong, yes. Edit will follow but jesus christ, 47 colors for this? This should be 16 max!

edit:
-

Okay, there's lots to talk about, and it's mostly about colors and coloring.

1. I don't know what program you're using to pixel, but you create a lot of one-pixel-index-slots. I cleaned from 47 colors to 15, and I ask you, is my version less colorful than yours? Or more? Whatever you're using, stop. Drop. Buy promotion. Learn it. Make your pixels happy.

2. Your sprite is mostly monochromatic with a bright yellow splodge of face in the middle. A good sprite I'd say - though this isn't any sort of rule really, it just seems to work most of the time - has a bit of a complementary palette going. Look how the purples and blues in the cloth on my edit complements the cool cyan and greens on the armor. The eye instantly recognises shapes and depths. The shadows of the purple cloth are also green-tinted, and generally a slightly sickly but nocturnal aesthetic is attempted in my edit.

3. Face edit. I gave my version a demented 'I will do you harm' look, because that's the sort of face I wouldn't want to see in the dark. Also, seeing how this sprite will go against dark backgrounds I guess (ninjas at day?) I colored the face in nocturnal colors. Even if he goes out in daylight, this is the sort of skin color a ninja would have in my brain, not bright green-yellow.

4. Generally, think more when you're selecting colors, don't just make ramps. Think what use they will have and what emotional charges they carry. Warmer colors are full of life, colder are distant and morose. Red is anger and excitement, yellow is hate and annoyance, so on so forth (there are no rules, but if you consistently use a hue to mean something, the player will subconsciously pick it up. If every enemy in a platformer has green clothing, in that game's 'aesthetic universe', green is evil and danger).

5. Baggy pants on a ninja. Personal preference, I'd say, lose them. Baggy pants aren't hip or intersting and they obscure shapes that are very useful for the spring-like motion of a ninja. Also would a ninja wear clothes that can get caught on fences and corners? There's a reason ninjas wear this sort of badass gear:

It's because they're trained for EVIL. And AWESOME. (padlock on crotch optional, though).

Generally a word about the design, does it have to be so japanese-anime-manga-influenced? With the Naruto headpiece thing? Look at the screenshot above, the ninja is obviously not a western invention, but it's okay to show where we are from in our art. The dudes above drew him like a Ninja Barbarian and that's awesome! Don't give the viewers what they expect!

6. Why did I cut the sleeves short in the arms? Because the black gloves create a depth problem. Black is also used for shading, so if you go from the deep purple sleeves to the uriah heep black gloves then the viewer might think 'wait, are the hands just covered in darkness?' In fact, look at the left arm in your version (our left) and let your mind focus on it. Tell me does it look like the arm is in FRONT of the sleeve, or behind it (as if the ninja had his back on us). That's what priority does. By giving him shorter sleeves and introducing a bit of flesh to segment cloth from shadow, I am amending this problem just somewhat, though not fully. The best option would be for the gloves to not be black, really.

7. The cloth on the hood especially is pillowshaded. Where's the lightsource? Are your outlines lightsource dependent? If not, should they be? Have you thought about the practical applications of such a method? Look at some Kenneth art to see what good they do.

That's it so far! Please update and let us know how it goes and if you found the critique useful!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 10:43:40 am by Helm »

Offline Kable

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 06:59:06 pm
Ohh lots of good feedback.  Thanks! I think I learned something ( a few thing actually )

So the image started out as this...

then I resized it to a size that would work with the resolution and tilesize i wanted in game, that's probably where all the one of colors came from photoshop resize. I did the animation in ImageReady. :|

The concept for the ninja actually came from some concept art a french guy did for a game I was working on a long time ago. Game is on hold.. but I still love the concept...

http://www.raincitygames.com/images/ShiKatsu.jpg

I liked his sort of hybrid French / Japanese's style though I didn't capture it entirely.

That, and I'm inspired by a flawed but incredibly fun platformer

http://tigsource.com/articles/2007/06/11/nikujin

(WTF Ninja's at day??)

So the concept was, what if I took the katsu concept and stuck him in a nikujin style game.

Anyway, to your excellent crits.

2. Yes, you are correct when I pick colors in photoshop i pick a base color and then vary the brightness slider and if i'm feeling really daring I switch over to the saturation slider but usually no. I don't really know where to start making a color ramp that includes more then one color (something you've always done well).

3. I like how you cleaned the face up, I'm definitely going to borrow some of those elements.

4. Noted, and good advice.

5. Yeah the concept isn't really a serious ninja, what kind of ninja would wear a metal chestpiece (or a crotch lock??), but hey that's what the concept had and I liked it.

6. Sleeves cut short is a great edit.

7. Agreed, will redouble my efforts. I'm having fun with this sprite so I don't mind spending a few more evenings getting it right.
I should really just go get promotion while I'm at it. I've been putting it off for years.

Overall, awesome crit. I think I learned a lot and will really improve the sprite.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 11:21:01 pm by Kable »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 09:30:25 pm
we're making a nikujin-type game in our spare time btw, so you'll be glad to know you've got competition ;)

Offline Kable

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 09:39:44 pm
There can never be enough nikujin! I really doubt I'll even start mine. Right now I'm just romanticizing doing art for it :)

Do I know the dev? It's not Graham is it?

Haha, perhaps it can be a pixelation challenge, reskin nikujin with clothing!

I'm just working my way though the promotion manual ATM, so far I like a lot of what I'm seeing, it's better suited to game art then photoshop (especially on the small screen)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 09:51:40 pm
No the coder is a german friend of wondrous power. Lackey (ironshins) and Ptoing are also involved. It's looking grand so far, I dare say the platforming (battling isn't in yet) plays much better than Nikujin.

Promotion has a bit of a learning curve, but it most definitely will upgrade your workflow. Keep at it, and show us updates. The early wip you posted has a charm that the finished piece lacked. I believe it's because you smoothed out all the corners into curves. It's okay to keep it a bit angular!

Offline Kable

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 07:47:24 am
Allright, I had some fun with Pro Motion but then I realized I couldn't save as anything relevant since I was using the trial (I bought the lite version, but they haven't sent me a key yet) so I went back to photoshop for these. I'll play with Pro Motion some more when I have a key. (I noticed while looking for promotion tutorials there are a lot of Hax to unlock promotion, its always strange to me when a company makes it easier to hack a program then buy it legitimately)

So I didn't mess with the shape of the ninja too much, though all you crits on the character design were valid.

I did rework the head a bit to reflect the concept art as well as take into account light source etc.

Here's some color tests I came up with. I still can't really do the multicolor runs, but I did get away from a pure brightness ramp. I played with some sort of angry (red) color faces as well as some cooler ones. I took your advice on simplifying the shading overall. I don't think any one of these guys uses more then 16 colors, and most of them closer to 12. (though I haven't checked)

What I did was I reduced the ninja to line-art and then built him up with different color sets from there...

[Origional]

[Color Tests]

EDIT: Just realized I really like what you did with the shoulder and arm on the left side of the image, gonna have to steal that ;)

FINAL EDIT: So I finally tore myself away from my own design and did a best of all worlds edit... I'm liking this one...

[Final ?]

« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 09:20:56 am by Kable »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 10:52:01 am
Your chest piece is much better than mine! I also like the jet black colored ninja lots and lots.

The color spearation on your final one is much, much better. I can see all the shades and they're not interfering with oneanother. Good job, you adressed most points I levelled and kept the identity solid. When you have pro motion and see how easy on-the-fly hue, saturation and lightness adjusting on colors is, you'll begin to experiment with more varied ramps very naturally.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 02:08:24 am
I can't seem to help but see his abdomen as insectoidly segmented. I think it's those bottom two. The original, preresized conceptiness had more obviousity as to its shape. But maybe a flap of crotchcloth or something would look cool, too?

Offline Kable

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 09:11:07 am
Thanks for all the help guys, I'll try and post a new Idle animation soon!