AuthorTopic: RPG character design... sort of  (Read 9184 times)

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

RPG character design... sort of

on: November 29, 2007, 02:09:23 am
Hi everybody!
This is a character sprite I've made. What do you think? Do you like it? What would you change/add?
NEW(01/12/07):

OLD:

« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 11:24:12 pm by Hyrule_SwordsMan »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: RPG character design... sort of

Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 02:39:05 am
Heehee. Might wanna tone those highlights down, looks kinda like he's had baby oil liberally applied to his whole body. :crazy:
Other than that, all I can immediately see wrong is the weird highlights on his calves.

I must say, though, the way you did the mouth is really interesting, and it looks pretty good at 1x.

Keep it up :y:
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 02:08:05 pm
Heehee. Might wanna tone those highlights down, looks kinda like he's had baby oil liberally applied to his whole body. :crazy:
Other than that, all I can immediately see wrong is the weird highlights on his calves.

I must say, though, the way you did the mouth is really interesting, and it looks pretty good at 1x.

Keep it up :y:

yay, thanks :)
Ok, I'll dark a bit those highlights lol
I also though it was an oiled baby xD

But as he uses clothers always... :)

And yes, the normal zoom is 1x.

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 03:29:09 pm
Time to earn my bread.

Drawing a superdeformed muscle doll is not really the easiest thing to do, and you did a pretty good job at it, but there's a lot to squeeze into a very little space, and that's prolly the hardest thing there is to pixeling.

First, and you'll hear this from almost anyone here on Pixelation, think about the volumes. Imagine that whatever you are pixeling is made of simple and well defined shapes, then try to define those shapes well. Each of those should be clearly distinguishable.
Keep it simple, and dont get into any detail until you think the shapes are exactly what they should be. For example, you don't want the chest to look too round, like a woman's breast. They should look at least a bit angular and chiseled.

When you decide that your light is coming from, say, above, you should think about which surfaces catch that light, and which are in the shadow. Doing a 'glossy' shading with focused specular highlights is deceiving in this aspect. You may think that you got away cheap, but in the end you only fool yourself from seeing the mistakes. It's much better to do simple shading and define materials by adjusting the brightness and hue of their colors, instead of doing speculars, dither, etc.

Also, think about pixeling as painting, not as drawing. For instance, when defining abdomen, you did it by drawing darker lines and then placing almost-arbitrary highlights. Instead use light AND dark to get a much better result. Trust me, it's worth the sweat. If you get stuck, feel free to look how others solved similar problems. It's best to look at ppl with a very clear style, than those who work a lot on a sub-pixel level. For example it's easier to look at how kenneth solved something, than to look at how Helm solved the same thing. The latter style is more 'advanced' and much harder to read, so to speak.

Since a picture is worth more than a thousand words, here goes:

I didn't want to change your design too much, and it IS a rather half-assed attempt, but I tried to show you how much definition you can get out of those pixels. Pay attention to ears, hands, and other very small bits to see how they differ from your original work.

Also you will notice how much i exaggerated certain features. This is almost a must when working on tiny sprites and such.

Last but not least take a look at how I changed the colors. The changes are very subtle, but if you load your colors to my image, you'll see the big difference.
i

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 04:45:33 pm
an army of these would scare the sht outta me, pure evil..

I like em tho, I just think they need a good polish. ilkke has explained it well.

For the walking animation its essential you have the key frames of lift off, mid-air and contact. if it doesn't look like the feet are lifting it wont be a convicing walk, more of a giggle. Arms work well though.

Keep it up Hyrule.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 05:25:51 pm
Good critique, Ikke. Hyrule, most of the issues of large value jumps and no buffering from your other piece remain here.

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 11:06:13 pm
Hi there.
I've been editing this chara.
I've made also 4 types of face :)

By hyrule_swordsman at 2007-12-01
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 11:24:22 pm by Hyrule_SwordsMan »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 11:15:03 pm
The new shading around the mouth and nose makes them blend together, which makes him look kinda like a mouse or a cat..
I also think the forehead highlight should be moved farther up.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 11:33:11 pm
The new shading around the mouth and nose makes them blend together, which makes him look kinda like a mouse or a cat..
I also think the forehead highlight should be moved farther up.
Sorry for the trouble but I've modified the image  :lol:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 01:50:13 pm
That looks like a single nostril. Also, I don't get cat mouths on humans. The human mouth doesn't curve that way.