AuthorTopic: [WIP] First Try  (Read 4531 times)

Offline earthboundwish

• View Profile
    • EarthBound Webcomic

[WIP] First Try

on: November 19, 2007, 09:15:48 am
This is my first real attempt at pixeling. ^^;;  I tried it wayyyyy back about 8 years ago with the OHRRPGCE, but oh god... it made my eyes bleed.    :blind:

C+C would be much appreciated.  :'( Go all out.

[UPDATE]

Started over at 32x32 and here's what the results are:

[UPDATE #2]

Tried to clean up the outline a bit, added another shade of pink/red, erased some of the shadow, and redrew the mushroom. Also added a straw to the cocktail blob/jelly as an experiment.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 06:15:48 am by earthboundwish »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: First Try

Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 11:11:31 am
There is not that much to comment about it, as it is mainly a rough doodle, pixel art works per pixel, not with a 3 px. thick brush. It could of course yield a style element, but you did not apply alot of technique in here.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 04:37:50 am
Yeah, the beauty of pixel art is that it is made by the careful manipulation of each pixel.  Each pixel has an important part to play.  I wouldn't call your picture pixel art because, even though you made it with Microsoft Paint, not much attention was put into the placement of each pixel.  It's not a bad thing, it's just that the kind of style that this picture was drawn in would work better as a traditional art piece, or a vector piece.

Offline lilwing

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 05:20:03 am
how come everywhere i go, people are drawing these ridiculous, non-original blobs with anime faces? where is the CREATIVITY? you could atleast give some identity to it, like a hat, or maybe a cane.

this is far too large for the subject anyway. some suggestions i have are, shrink it really far down, atleast by 1/4. it looks like the blob is made out of layers bcause of the different 'stacks' of colors. clean up the jaggies. those are some starting points. if you need some help learning about those, we can reference you to tutorials.

Offline earthboundwish

• View Profile
    • EarthBound Webcomic

Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 09:34:38 am
Thanks everyone for the wonderful C+C. :D

I was actually trying out GraphicsGale while making this. @__@ Layering is indeed an evil, evil temptress.
As a noob, I didn't think it would be a good idea to start off with something complex, so the first thing that popped into my head was: BLOB.

Started over at 32x32 and here's what the results are:

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 09:58:33 am by earthboundwish »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 09:42:46 am
The one with the umbrella is so cool. Hopefully after people crited it u can animate. The umbrella should bob in and out and eyes move up and down. My only crit so far is that
maybe the outline could be cleaned up (ie no 2 pixel wide parts.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline BG

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 10:56:09 am
Awesome improvement! ;D
Those look pretty nice, especially the one with umbrella. Makes me feel "Cocktail drink goes living jelly" or something like that. Maybe could need another shade of red to make it feel more round.
About the mushrom one... I think it would improve greatly if you put the mushrom more on the side (like the umbrella) and recolor it green instead of red. Makes it feel more forest-like.
And sharprm is right about the outline.

Keep up the good work!

Offline earthboundwish

• View Profile
    • EarthBound Webcomic

Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 06:15:24 am
Tried to clean up the outline a bit (pretty sure I got all the 2px wide parts fixed), added another shade of pink/red, erased some of the shadow, and redrew the mushroom. Also added a straw to the cocktail blob/jelly as an experiment. ^^

I kinda feel like the mushroom is sticking out too much... :X

Offline BG

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] First Try

Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 08:57:50 am
Oh! Sorry! When I sugested coloring it green, I ment the blob itself, and not the mushrom. I liked the original colors of the mushroom.

Otherwise, I really like the change of it. The mushroom looks way more interesting than before.
Adding another color is good, but I don't think you're using it at it's full potential. Check out slime-type monsters from other games and check how they're colored to make them look round and squishy. Good examples: Dragon Quest, Puyo Puyo.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Re: [WIP] First Try

Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 04:03:00 pm
It seems to me like you added a new color without really thinking about why you added it.  At this point you should study similar objects in real life, like balloons and Jell-o.  And don't just rely on layering to get the effect you want!!