AuthorTopic: Digital Dump  (Read 14614 times)

Offline digitaldust

• shoopus maaaah woopus
    • View Profile
    • LOLFURRIES

Digital Dump

on: November 15, 2007, 12:56:49 pm
B.O.B has his own pixel dump thread, soooo, why not?

To start off, here's my second ever pixel piece, done for a contest in DeviantArt. It's supposed to be complete, but an update here and there whenever chance bites shouldn't hurt.

Photoshop 6, approximately 5 days (3 days for the lineart, 2 days for the pixel job).

I dunno about you guys, but i think i'm still having problems with colors in general.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 12:59:05 pm by digitaldust »
"I am smart! I am smart! S-M-R-T -- I mean S-M-A-R-T!!"

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Re: Digital Dump

Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 03:19:45 pm
I think the style and colours in this are incredible! Not sure why you think you have a colour problem XD. The hand holding the can is kind of hard to read and im not sure whats on his shoes (are those holes carved into them?) This is spectacular, i really look forward to seeing some of your other stuff. :o

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 05:31:18 pm
well, it's certainly striking I'll give you that.

An interesting style, nice line weights. But you really could do with some Anti Aliasing - you're pallettes fine... if you're going for a vivid application.

All well and good, but I have to ask...

... what the hell is it?

I realise it's some anthromorphication of something... but I can't quite pin it down... Is it soem kind of sea creature? I keep seeing star fish and octopus and killer whales and dophins?...? But I honestly can't figure out what it's supposed to be... and on that basis I think you may be being a bit too obscure and thats the ultimate failing of this piece?

That said... I still like it.
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 05:35:54 pm
Looks more like a sort of robot to me. However, the way he's gripping/holding his cane seems.. Rather awkward. And those 'folds' on the shirt look a bit distracting.

Offline Lackey

• remember to drink cure potions
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 07:08:36 pm
I think the problem with this piece is that you've got a very deliberate, almost automatic shading style going on that doesn't really reflect the forms it should be representing.  In particular you've drawn a line with your darker colour along EVERY outline for no apparent reason.  The pleat down the center of his pants, for example, why is there shading to one side of that line?  That line could be either JUST black (you can have black outlines without a line of shading along them!) or just the dark green colour.  In places like the cloth folds you've made marks that sort of works in the line art, faking places where the fabric bunches, but when you shade along one side of that line it doesn't quite make sense.  Ditch the internal black lines where you can and suggest areas of shadow with the darker colour.  The little indent on the cuff of the right leg of the pants is a good example of this.  The lines around his left pectoral are an example of what's not working.

I think the best part of this though is the really strong, vertical composition.  It works well with the elongated form of the character.

Offline digitaldust

• shoopus maaaah woopus
    • View Profile
    • LOLFURRIES

Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 02:31:10 am
Oh, you guys... I thought you'd be able to figure out that i based the creature type on the aluminium beverage can!  :'(

I didn't say a word because i was under the impression that the can opener feet and the Pocari Sweat "skin" would be a dead enough giveaway for you guys to figure out. Oh well.

Jakten: Sorry about the readability issues. I tried pretty hard to make it discernable as he's holding the cane between his thumb and his index finger. I did that because i wanted to try a hand pose that's a lot more different than just the clenched-fist grip which i've seen in quite a number of drawn pictures. As for the coloring problem, the big issue that my habit of randomly picking colors is often hit and miss, because sometimes i'd get compliments, and other times i'd get people pointing out that the colors are too dark, too bright, not saturated enough, etc. Not that i blame them, of course.  :(

Quote from: Lackey
I think the problem with this piece is that you've got a very deliberate, almost automatic shading style going on that doesn't really reflect the forms it should be representing.  In particular you've drawn a line with your darker colour along EVERY outline for no apparent reason.  The pleat down the center of his pants, for example, why is there shading to one side of that line?  That line could be either JUST black (you can have black outlines without a line of shading along them!) or just the dark green colour.

I completely forgot that unwritten rule. I thought that by shading the outlines, there would be more depth(?) to things like creases and folds in fabric. I'll keep this note in mind, so big thanks for pointing it out.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 11:53:28 am
I completely forgot that unwritten rule.

Are you being ironic? There's no rules for art, written or unwritten. He's trying to help you, and his critique is good.

Offline digitaldust

• shoopus maaaah woopus
    • View Profile
    • LOLFURRIES

Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 12:29:14 pm
I completely forgot that unwritten rule.

Are you being ironic? There's no rules for art, written or unwritten. He's trying to help you, and his critique is good.

I meant to say that i've completely forgotten about it, because I realized myself that Lackey's crits were useful. Pardon my broken english.  :-X

Offline digitaldust

• shoopus maaaah woopus
    • View Profile
    • LOLFURRIES

Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 04:54:22 am

Experimenting on a style inspired by this certain icon:

I also felt that my current avatar isn't doing me favors, so out with the old, in with the new...

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 05:18:28 am
I can't fathom how that little avatar led to what you have, but cool anyway :P. Might be privvy to have some eye movement and maybe a more defined nose?
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)