AuthorTopic: Tato warrior  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Tato warrior

on: November 12, 2007, 01:26:49 am

So I actually did find some time to (quickly) finish it up for the PJ challenge.  This is the version I submitted, but I think I might keep working on it anyway.

I think there's a big problem with the palette, it seems very monochromatic, but I'm not sure how to go about making it more interesting while keeping it potatoey.

and here's a walkcycle I guess I might as well show

Offline fawel

• View Profile

Re: Tato warrior

Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 04:27:00 am
I think the potato fellow is large enough that you could put in subtle hues to add variety, right now it's a little dull.  The dark shadow where there would normally be a neck looks a bit odd.  Good forms, I like it a lot overall.

The walk animation is really impressive, is it for anything special?

Offline sam-uk

• lol, internet.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 06:40:10 am
I don't see any resemblance to a potato as much as I see him as being a giant wasp's nest. I think now you've submitted it maybe you could add some insects & change his stance to prehaps hanging from a branch. Either that, or make him look more like this  :D

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 06:50:54 am
His legs seem very small and he looks like he is leaning to left too. I guess the top half is a peeled potato?

The walking anim is great, but the left arm has one frame with a watch or something, kinda distracting. In fact somehting about the hand movement bothers me, like his hand is growing or he looks like he is doing a handshake movement. Two light dots on hair seems odd.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Aelyrin

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 08:01:25 am
Only think that really irks me about the animation is that the bottom of the shirt is straight.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 02:49:21 pm
thanks guys

I'm having trouble making it clear its a potato without doing this: 

I'll keep working on it

About the walk animation, apparently something got messed up while I was saving it so that's not the right version, you can hold off on critique on it until i resolve that