AuthorTopic: Character walking animation C&C  (Read 2394 times)

Offline JimKurth

• View Profile

Character walking animation C&C

on: February 02, 2008, 03:31:37 pm
I posted up an article long ago last year regarding my sprites I made and wanting C&C.  A lot of people said my animation was poor and sloppy with only 4 frames (2 frames being the same image).  So yesterday I spent most of the day putting together a better walking character.

This is what I was using before:

I thought it would be easier to make an animation if my character was in vectors and I just resized the image down but it didn't work.  Turned out to look more like cell-shading than pixel art:

So, I redid my original using the famous walking animation image that's passed around so much to do my 8 frame animation:

I noticed the dark grey is too dark so I changed that also to a lighter shade to make my final revision:

Took me a long time but I like it so far.  Any C&C welcome, I won't get discouraged.  Thanks.

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Re: Character walking animation C&C

Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 11:09:16 pm
It looks nice overall, but there are a couple of things that catch my noob eyes:
 - the arms movement is way too asymmetrical, as the furthest arm reaches too much behind (had it mirrored the other arm behaviour, it would not even show) and does not show the same down->up-ahead movement when popping up in front;
 - the head seems to be moving a bit too much.
Besides that - but probably this is just a matter of personal preference - I'd say it would benefit from smaller eyes.

saimo