AuthorTopic: Phoenichu: Objection!  (Read 7573 times)

Offline Kon

• I am a Pixel
    • View Profile

Phoenichu: Objection!

on: November 08, 2007, 06:50:05 pm
Hey peoples,
It's my first pixelart I post on this forum and loads of french pixelartists told me that it was a good website to get advices and good critics. Anyway, you can tell me everything that's wrong, even if you think it's shit. Just say why :D

Just wanna get better and fast :D
So I'm starting on my 3rd year of pixelart and I'd like to know what you think of this:

The Pikachu was fully made by me and I took the background and the objection sign from the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney game. I'm pretty proud of it so feel free to comment :D

Offline Doomcreator0

• I thought I was a tree. I'm not. My life is a lie.
    • View Profile

Re: Phoenichu: Objection!

Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 12:18:47 am
Well first off,is that animation purely pixel art or did you use special tools?
You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 12:44:39 am
Pikachu has anatomy like a cat standing on its two legs and is really fat. Your Pikachu has the body of a human. The ears are too long, and should point outwards, not like a rabbit. You should look at more references if you want to make it look more like pikachu.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 02:48:17 am
The Pikachu was fully made by me and I took the background and the objection sign from the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney game.
Errr for your information: The mods might not be happy with this.
Pikachus tend to be a brighter color than that and like sharprm said, its more like the anatomy of a human instead of what a pikachu would have(His arms are very small, for instance)

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 04:00:51 am
Why should the mods care?  It's not like he's trying to pull one over us.

anyway, i'd like to see the pikachu by itself, as it's hard to take a good look at it in the animation.  Also, maybe you should post some of the Phoenix Wright sprites so we can compare the style you are trying to emulate. 

I don't mind much the pikachu/human hybrid aspect, though you might want to think about what elements of the human figure you are trying to include and why... or whether or not this piece would benefit from a more "accurate" pikachu or an even more humanized one, by which I mean what effect seeing a "real" pikachu in court would have on us versus this humanized type... which has a sort of weirding out effect.

the lighting is shaky, for instance the highlights on the cheeks and the shading on the body.  It looks as if you weren't sure what exactly should be going on there so you kind of faked it. 

oh, and welcome to the forum  :)

Offline Kon

• I am a Pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 05:40:29 pm
Thanks for answering and offering good crits that I will all answer :D

>Doomcreator0: If your talking about the pikachu, it's entirely made with paint except the blur effect I made on the pikachu for the scrolling that was made with photoshop.

>sharprm:
Pikachu has anatomy like a cat standing on its two legs and is really fat. Your Pikachu has the body of a human.
I had loads of crits about that but it was actually done on purpose, sorry I didn't precise but I wanted to do some humanish pikachu as a lawyer because he did some law studies.

>Darien:
anyway, i'd like to see the pikachu by itself, as it's hard to take a good look at it in the animation.  Also, maybe you should post some of the Phoenix Wright sprites so we can compare the style you are trying to emulate.

Here is the sprite sheet:

The animation without the background:

Some animation from the ORIGINAL game

I don't mind much the pikachu/human hybrid aspect, though you might want to think about what elements of the human figure you are trying to include and why... or whether or not this piece would benefit from a more "accurate" pikachu or an even more humanized one, by which I mean what effect seeing a "real" pikachu in court would have on us versus this humanized type... which has a sort of weirding out effect.
I wanted to do this human hybrid Pikachu because I wanted him to fit the defense attorney character. I mean pikachu's can't speak so how would he defend his client?
So I added some humanish part but it looks kinda... weird I know ^^

Actually I tried to inspire myself from the original shading as you will see on the animation ripped of the game I showed a bit higher ^^ But I think it didn't turn out as good I expected so... Nevermind ^^'

And thanks for the welcome :D

Offline Ricco, the Pirate

• Yarrrr
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 05:59:19 pm
Hey, pikachu shoul be wearing a suit, that would be kickass  :P

I think you should define a better light source, in your sprite the light comes most from the front, maybe you shou try and make more like the original, where the light comes mostly from the top right.

And i also think the blinking is too slow

Offline BG

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 07:53:15 pm
I mean pikachu's can't speak so how would he defend his client?
He usually just Zaps his opponents until they fly away into the never ending sky. At least that's what I remember from the show...

Quickly done Pikachu based on Pheonix's pose. Sort of kept the original shading

Just felt like giving it a shot...

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 12:01:19 am
I think you should look into the pose of the Phoenix Wright sprite. Your sprite, at the moment, looks laid back and wimpy, where the Phoenix sprite is forceful and accusing. They do this by heavily foreshortening the hand, and turning the back away from the direction that the hand is pointing. You'll notice in the composition of the sprite that there is a sort of 'arrow', thrusting towards whoever he happens to be objecting to. The slicked back hair, the dramatic pointing finger, the forward slanted head, and the turned body all create this sort of unified force and power which your sprite lacks.

Though to make these changes would probably involve redoing the sprite, I think it could be worth it. :y:

Offline Kon

• I am a Pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 12:42:54 am

I really didn't want to restart but I wan't my sprite to look like it could fit the game so... Is the line any good?