AuthorTopic: [WIP] Isometric City again (this time with editing done)  (Read 7772 times)

Offline ccaveman

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Isometric City again (this time with editing done)

Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 03:29:23 am
Yeah, I've had to cut back a little on the pixel art because I just wanted a break. One problem I've been having recently has been with my colors. I'm 98% sure it's because I'm using MS Paint and saving as a .gif is messing up the palette some how. I know about the thing you can do with Photoshop to save as a .gif with that, but I'm kind of short on some cash to be buying Photoshop. Are there any free editors that won't ruin the palette when you save as a .gif?

Mike: I see what you mean about more detail with the people, thanks for the guidance.

JonathanOfDrain: Mine's sterile mainly because I'm new to pixeling and don't know all of the techniques, but I'm learning. Also, I've been trying to work on the people more than the buildings and terrain. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, though.

Edit: Updated Man / Woman:

I'm going to work on the woman a little later.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 01:29:54 am by ccaveman »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 03:51:24 am
GraphicsGale. Free editions only limitation is that it can't work with GIFs, but PNGs are pretty much the same, only without animation and can have higher color depths.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline ccaveman

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 04:18:35 am
Ok, thanks Sherman, I usually work with GIF or PNG so it's fine.

Update
Old:

New:

These still seem a little too bright for my city. Maybe not. Should I add the black outline back?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 02:11:19 am by ccaveman »

Offline ccaveman

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 05:29:54 am
New Update on city:
   - Sketch of a new person
   - Flags on the side of brown building
   - smoke in the chimney
   - some other minor details

Offline MashPotato

• View Profile
    • Crabshack Gallery

Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 02:10:40 pm
It's a nice start.  I think there are some scaling issues; for example, the people are taller than the doors, and some objects (eg. garbage can, potted plant) are almost a story tall when you compare them to the buildings.  Since the buildings have a black outline, it may keep things more in the same style to put black outlines around the other objects as well.  The flags look a little flat; try to avoid "banding" when shading.

Good luck as you continue working on this!

Offline ccaveman

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 10:19:00 pm
Yeah, I need to probably scale the green door up some. I'm probably going to keep the trash cans the same because when you compare them to the people, they are scaled correctly (at least to my eyes). I'm probably going to increase the size of the stories of the buildings because drawing people right now is a little hard for me at my stage in pixel art.

What objects in particular did you mean to keep with the black outline? I think the people probably need it, but is there anything else?

I should also probably dither the flag. Or should I do some other method of shading?

Thanks for your crit. It helped to catch the scaling issue before it was too late.

Offline ccaveman

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 03:46:12 am
Updated Image:
  • Updated the man to fit the image
  • Updated the pot
  • I know about the blue building's post color malfunction (Just couldn't get around to fix it yet)

Tell me what you think: