AuthorTopic: [WIP] Building a better Lego brick  (Read 7127 times)

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Re: [WIP] Building a better Lego brick

Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 08:10:11 am
I'm have the bricks overlap one more pixel so that you won't see the highlight on bricks with bricks stacked ontop of them.
I'd also desaturate the bricks at tad bit and remove all shading that makes them look round or too beveled.
Lego bricks are sharp as hell, haven't you ever stepped on one?

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 08:49:06 am
Yup... fair enuff.. the pallette the standard promotion pallette I didn't mess with it at all (apart from to get a decent yellow ramp)...

Like I said the "pips" (which is the correct lego term for the 'bumps') I made small to ease up placement.

I made these in about 10 mins with the only major thought being applied to the ease of positioning hence the 4x4 grid and snap thing...

I'd be interested to see this other thread on this...

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Rargh!

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 09:36:13 am
So, this is where I realise Bacca's stacking genius. His blocks really want to be together. But I've had a go at analysing what Crab and Rabid said and Bacca's edit (including the making of the pips small enough not to cause z alignment nightmares) and have attempted to find the middle ground while retaining my 'style'/initial post. This is what I've ended up with.

For me, I like the blocks when they sit nicely on their own (particularly the thin 1 pip block), but you really notice the shortcomings when you put them together. That and the highlight down the front of the block. The pips need better shading, too, I think.

Suggestions??

[Edit: added a clear brick as well, which will be the front windscreen of the forklift. Is there a good way to increase the feeling of material here? I read in one of the other posts that plastic/glass = high shine. Not sure yet how to generate that with a block like this...]

Hmm... seeing it here, might need to do a better outline on the clear block.

[Edit 2: latest progress. Any c or c gladly taken...]

Does anyone remember if the front of the sloped blocks were textured back in 1975, or did that happen later?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 11:22:49 am by Rargh! »

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 11:31:00 am
I remember... yes they were textured...

...and usually had bits of plastecine/tin foil/polo/jolly rancher stuck in the bottom of a few blocks... rendering them useless.
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com