AuthorTopic: [WIP]RPG tileset  (Read 57232 times)

Offline zyndikate

• View Profile

[WIP]RPG tileset

on: October 25, 2007, 03:32:00 pm
Hi!
First post, and its more or less my first pixelart too.. I bought Pro motion 2days ago and have been playing around some. I used to enjoy pixeling on my amiga500 back then, but I was young and crappy. :)
I read up some topics and Im ofcourse very impressed by the skills and knowledge thats arounds here, So I decided to post my tileset.
"Ohno! not another RPG-tileset!"

Personaly I think its kinda lame somehow, the grass I really seem to fail at - Any suggestions or tips, I tried many diffrent with variations.?
Any critique or suggestions are welcome and appreciated, I have alot to learn!

EDIT -- last update for now:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 03:04:48 pm by zyndikate »

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]RPG tileset

Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 04:46:10 pm
Welcome :)
Your work already seems to be very advanced, so I can't give much critique. The tiles tile very well, though the smaller ones are lightly repetative when tiled in big areas, but actually thats part of the stylistic choice about how many details you want to add. The upper trunk fits the style of the ground tiles better imho.
About the secondary lightsource: I think I wouldnt fill such a big part of the sprites with a light of that colour if the theme is a daylight scene. I somehow associate the violet more with a misterious, cave-style light than with a normal daylight scene. I think it might work quite well if you added another darker brown tone where your darker violet is at the moment too have a smaller area where the secondary lightsource affects the object more than the primary. And maybe add 1 or 2 tones to the violet ramp to be able to add more details in that area as you did in the front.

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 01:00:27 am
Congratulations on your purchase. :^)) The grass and road tiles are excellent, very nice color choices.

Your trees lack a nice dark color to give them a healthy range of contrast. You need a dark green or purple to add some extra depth to the darks. Also, if you are devoting such a huge portion of the objects into that purple, you might add a lighter shade of purple or two to give them more detail. That, or make the reflected light more subtle.

Regardless, this is some top notch stuff.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 02:14:30 pm
there's more to this than meets the eye...?

First post - yet strangley looks like pro work...

"more or less my first pixelart too..." - yeah right, who you trying to kid?

Either you're pro trying to take the p155 or you're extremely talented and natural born pixel pusher...

There's some indications in there of more than 'just starting pixeling' - the tesselation on the tiles for one is excellent, the form on the tree is excellent, the choices of where you've placed pixels is very good, the secondary hilight on the tree is quite well done... and you choice of pallette is nice...

This is not amateur work by any stretch... and certainly not n00b territory...

So come on mr first post... who are you really?
 :-\
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Rargh!

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 02:29:10 pm

Being almost the definition of a noob pixeller myself, I have to agree with Bacca...

The shading on just the light side of your trees alone is extremely well done. Too well done. You have techniques going on there I don't even know the names of yet. 

But if this is your first pixel art work... then know that I am very, very jealous!   :P

Offline zyndikate

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 03:05:47 pm
First of all, thanks for the suggestions!

Ok, now I feel a little embarrassed talking about myself.

I never said I was new to art, Im actually studying it and love it. :)
Like I said, maybe in a somewhat toned-down, I used to pixel when I was a kid (10-11 years old). Me and my cousin used to copy pixels from amiga games - drawing it down on a crossed paper, So Im familiar with dittering (just basic though) and such. Back then I knew nothing about the tools of art like color theory, form, perspective..

Now, 10 years later I  have taken up my art interests and Im studying it atm for the second year..
Anyway - Im not trying to trick people or anything, I guess I was a little shy or affraid if anything - Im honestly here to learn pixel! I have seen stuff from people like Helm who really maximize the pallete, reuse colors in an impressiv way and really know how to use good colors.
So teach me guys :)
If anyone was offended or anything, then Im sorry for that, I was not trying to be an ass or anything.

philipptr: About the lightning color, choice.. Its my favorite colors - yellow and purple. I know sword of mana uses it too, and I really like that art :)
But I agree with you, its not "really" an outdoor color, the shadows would probably be blue from the sky.

Anyway - here is my second wip. I refined the three and worked some on its forms, tryied to work on the "RPG"-perspective, added some depth. Do you think its getting better with the new colors? Any tips in the pallete, color use? Please do be critical, Im here to learn. :)

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 03:21:18 pm
ah... that's better... a bit of background info always helps... and no offense caused in the slightest... I was just a bit curious cos your work displays some fine understanding already of the medium. Things make total sense now.

I'm loving this tree, very - er - Pans Labyrinth.

If I were to crit anything I'd say that you need to be a little more diligent with the placement of pixels on the grass tiles, they feel a little too haphazard for me, particularly the lowest tile on the left, the lightest wisps of grass are a little too simple and scratchy (if that makes sense) it's like you've randomly scribbled on the tile without much thought... I think they also need a bit of blending too, so the base of the wisp merges with the floor, and the bit that sticks out is brighter - a bit of AA wouldn't go amiss here.

nice work though... speshly for a first post...

welcome to pixelation

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline zyndikate

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 08:29:11 pm

Thank for the suggestions!
I understand what you mean with the grass, I havent really got down to refining them, im still trying to decide which "style" of them I want, Atm im liking the second from top-left for its simplicity which I think is good in the kind of rpg im thinking of (*of mana, Actionbattlesystem) Since it will keep the screen kinda clean.. Any who have any thoughts on that or experience?

Mostly worked on the threes, Getting the perspctive, Probably doesnt show but I worked 3h now on them :)

Also started to work the road tiles some, I tried to punch them back some so they are under the grass, but I dunno so far. Played around with fading the grass out on them. And some sucky flowers :P

anyway, bed time - thats why I posted.. Hope its ok to update the progress often for critique..

Offline zyndikate

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 03:07:43 am

Todays work, auto-tiling of floor and thicker grass.. I decided to go with this grass - Probably could use AA?
Also started a new three and some color adjustments.
The shadows will be transparent in RPGmaker.
Suggestions, c&c?

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 10:54:42 am
yum...

when are you gonna bite the bullet and work the tree canopy up?

This is really nice work.

www.burnzombieburn.com