AuthorTopic: Lands Of Orderia Graphics (2d RPG)  (Read 4524 times)

Offline Niko

• Vb Programmer
    • View Profile

Lands Of Orderia Graphics (2d RPG)

on: October 29, 2007, 10:38:49 pm
Hello, I'm Niko an Admin from http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com  We are a 2d MMORPG maker which is top notch and up their (rating wise) with vb-gore. Our new version is going to have unlimited size maps, any sized sprites can be used, and its ISO. It will  be normal 2d a few versions in the future. Anyway, I am not trying to advertise, I'm just trying to show the great pixel artists an easy program to use and put their graphics to work.

Anyway I am here because I have started to learn to pixel but I am no were near good at it. So I am here to get criticism and maybe even help.  No i am not recruiting but if anyone is intrested in a new online RPG which will be programmed and hosted 24/7 by me and some of my mates, and if you can copy the style or improve upon it then i would be very happy, just pm me.

Please comment, their just a start and I'm a noob at pixeling, but their ok.

//edit ptoing: please use image tags when posting pictures.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 08:03:09 pm by Niko »

Offline Rargh!

• View Profile

Re: Lands Of Orderia Graphics (2d RPG)

Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 10:39:06 am

While I can't comment on the pixelling skills, for me they seem to lack character. There's nothing about them that gives life or uniqueness to them. In my experience MMORPG characters are all about expressiveness, being larger than life. The blob guys look downright bored with whatever they may be doing, and only naked patch dude seems to be slightly intriguing.

What were you wanting to achieve when you created them? What were the characters in your head? What were their backstories? Who did you imagine playing as them? What quests were they on? What's their motivating thought right at this moment in their existence?

Perhaps you'll find some additional vitality in them when re-examining them in light of what your answers are to the above.

Offline Niko

• Vb Programmer
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 08:02:49 pm
Well see, me anwsering those questions would not effect the sprites themselves at all. The reason they look lifeless and bored is because of my lack of pixeling skills. This is infact the reason I came here, to get help and to improve my skill of pixeling.

Offline zyndikate

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 11:07:55 pm
I think Rargh!'s questions are valid - everything mathers, everything is a part of the picture-expression. Im not trying to be hard, just pointing out that you should consider his questions.

Its very hard to give comments on the "pixel-skill", or atleast for me - since I think artskills are applied in pixeling anyhow.
You use the dithering - but whats intersting is why you use it and where.
I did a little hasty example:

This is ofcourse not pixel-skill per se, but a little form I think would be healty.
And if you want some more suggestions It wouldnt be pixel-skill neither, it would be the colors - I noticed the reds are pure red, and greys are pure gray - try to mix them a little.. My grays in this Is bluish in shadow and yellowish in light - same gues for the green character.
These things are ofcourse things thats not pixel-specific.
If this is not what you were after, Im sorry - its just suggestions and all my opinions - no offence was intended.

Offline Rargh!

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 11:10:24 am

Sorry, Niko. I wasn't avoiding your desire for comment on the pixelling skills. It's just that I've only started out doing pixel art. The guys around this forum are brilliant and far more qualified to help you out. What I offered up was just some thoughts to help you along.

One of the things I've noticed is that you get the best criticism when you throw up something interesting; something that captures people's imagination. Then they want to see the project take shape.

I guess my 'advice' was simply to push you more in that direction and to consider what your end result was going to be. Think about game design--and, for that matter, character design. There are a kazillion 'generic' characters. Generic farmboy, or generic soldier of fortune mean very little these days.

Zyndicate's also given you a great study to start from with the first character he edited. Study it; try to see what he's done and post again when you apply that knowledge. Studying other people's work on these forums is a great way to learn. Also, ask questions. What do you see about your pixel art that you know is "poor" and you want help to improve. Learn to analyse your own work, too.

Hope these comments help.  :)