AuthorTopic: [WIP] Warrior  (Read 18597 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: [WIP] Warrior

Reply #40 on: October 23, 2007, 04:50:42 pm
Yeah Stefano's is leaning too.

Offline Kaczor

• I'm lazy
    • View Profile
    • Mario City

Reply #41 on: October 23, 2007, 09:38:22 pm
Update:

So I made hist leg stance wider an his spine is now leaning more towards (his) right. I hope it gives him desired balance already. I also improved (IMO) his knees, and some other less important things. Oh... and I tried to make some folds on the shirt wchich came out in my opinion shitty. I need your advice in this case.

Sorry that the progress is going forward so slowly but as you know it's the middle of the week.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 09:42:51 pm by Kaczor »
Sorry for my english.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: October 23, 2007, 10:32:39 pm
You're progressing steadily forward, don't rush it, my friend :>
' _ '

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #43 on: October 24, 2007, 05:27:28 am
Great progress. I think the knees might be too low.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #44 on: October 24, 2007, 12:33:32 pm
not so much the knees too low as that he needs approximately half a head's worth more of shins! Great progress. KEEP IT UP FOR THE WIN

Offline Kaczor

• I'm lazy
    • View Profile
    • Mario City

Reply #45 on: October 24, 2007, 08:35:52 pm

Edited the legs, and tried some other folding. It sux even more.

small edit:
As I look at it now i think: aren't the legs now a freakin bit too long :mean:, or the arms too short?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 08:52:47 pm by Kaczor »
Sorry for my english.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #46 on: October 24, 2007, 08:56:51 pm

actually a typical human male would be roughly 8 heads tall so he's kinda short generally, but if anything, the arms are too long (~5 pixels I'd say), not too short.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #47 on: October 24, 2007, 09:02:49 pm
In the right (viewer's left) arm, the outline his broken with the midtone of the arm. I'd personally use the next darkest shade to complete the outline, but it'll still be light enough to give the look of a rounded line.

The next is the left (viewer's right) arm, the shadow on the inside of the elbow looks too dark. If he's going to hold a shield, I'd suggest darken the entire arm as though the shield was casting a shadow, otherwise that shadow should be shallowed by lighting it up by a shade and maybe give it a smoother transition to the midtones of the forearm and upper arm.

And then there's the left (viewer's right) thigh, which looks flat compared to the rest of the limbs. You could give it more form by using the cast shadow of the sword, like you did with the other leg.

You've made some impressive progress on this, by the way. It's always good to see someone take criticisms and stick with a piece for the sake of improvement.

Offline Kaczor

• I'm lazy
    • View Profile
    • Mario City

Reply #48 on: October 24, 2007, 09:26:23 pm
Blick,
For all your shadowing tips I would like to say that the light source is hitting my char in the line from his shoulder to hand (his left) so the shield won't drop so much shadow and the shadow of sword won't reach his right leg. I'm not saying that you wrong interpreted the lightning, It's rather me who made it wrong ;). Other thing... there are a lot more tweaks than just broken line and so on, and few of them I can spot right now. I'll make sure to take care of it while finishing work.

Helm,
 :crazy: I wasn't expecting that. It looks like I have to do some serious stretching :blind:. Why are you telling me this so late :P?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 09:30:03 pm by Kaczor »
Sorry for my english.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #49 on: October 24, 2007, 11:38:34 pm
Yeah, after I suggested the sword's shadow hitting both thighs, I noticed it might not reach as far as his left thigh. Something has to be done to it though, an extension of the current shadow with a lighter shade and/or a shadow being cast from his vest could possibly do it.