AuthorTopic: German BR 52 locomotive  (Read 23550 times)

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

German BR 52 locomotive

on: October 13, 2007, 05:03:23 pm
Hey guys, Jack here with something different.  Its a German locomotive used during, you guessed it, World War II.  Its a pretty cool machine and I thought I would try my hand at it.  Several months later, here it is.  The problem is that its a bit flat.  If anyone has any ideas, feel free to let me know.  Any and all C+C is most welcome.  Cheers!

Jack

« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 09:16:35 pm by JackBauer24 »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: German BR 52 locomotive

Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 05:33:16 pm
Do you have any reference for us? That way we can analyze the shapes of the original machine and try to help you put some volume into your picture :3
' _ '

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 06:17:14 pm
Im trying to find some good examples.  The thing is that I based it off an image that didnt really show shading, shadows, etc.  That and other pics that cant be viewed that easily.  Here is one thats easier to get to:

http://vincesgallery.smugmug.com/gallery/1741742#86143447

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 09:50:53 pm
Ok folks, heres a little update for you.  Thanks!

Jack

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 05:23:08 am
Check out this site for a train:

http://www.mslugdb.com/main/gallery/sprites/objects.html

For train tracks and even ww2 destroyed village: (warning: lotsa pictures so hopefully you're not on restricted internet quota)

http://www.mslugdb.com/main/gallery/sprites/bg.html

Yeah, you're picture is on dead on perspective, lacks texture, atmosphere. I suggest studying the metal slug sprites.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 05:35:48 am
Ok, so if I want my pics to do well I need to change the perspectives?   If so, that would be a major jump for me.  Man this stuff is hard...

Jack

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 05:48:43 am
You can have a picture that has dead on perspective and it can still be visually intereting. But the perspective is one thing that in my opinion contributes to a boring piece. It is good for an illustration of how to assemble a plastic model train, because it is clear and detailed, but it isn't what i like. I like metal slug sprites for one thing, and if you want you can try doing pieces in a similar style. Go for interesting shapes, lots of texture, interesting lighting, etc. study the sprites and backgrounds. You don't need to use perspective yet if its too big of a hassle.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 05:52:20 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 05:56:45 am
I would prefere not to change perspective, but I do want to add texture, etc.  Please...is there any tutorials out there that you know of because I am having no luck finding what I want.  Thanks.

Jack

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 07:11:10 am
I think the perspective is kind of bland, it works though. I think you're lines are to sharp, soften them some AA. It'll make them seem thousands times more realistic, also will help round out some objects.
I made some edits on some pieces to give you some ideas. Some some some.

1. Tried showing you how things can look rounded. I obviously need practice.
2. Isn't my edit a bit closer to reality? A little less contrast on those pipe, probably too little but maybe somewhere in between yours and mine.
3. The bird is a bit neater and there's some volume on it. I'm under the assumption it was a 3D object and not something painted on the train. $

Play around with AA, it's a nice technique that really smooths things out.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 08:53:07 am
Perspective or not, Jack's current style/approach from what I can tell is illustrative/technical and has a certain charm and quality that I find quite refreshing.

Agreed, these pieces are extremely tight in execution and do lack a dramatic dynamic that others strive for but they do appear acutely accurate.

Jack enjoys the ww2 era and has a particular penchant for mechanized units.

Jack likes to work BIG and likes detail.

What I want to ask Jack is what HE wants to get out of his work? Do you want drama? Do you want the pieces to be explosive and dynamic? Or do you want the pieces to be what they are - colored technical layouts?

If the answer is dramatic, dynamic explosive, you have a lot to learn in terms of composition, perspective and lighting. If you the answer is otherwise, then I don't see where you're going wrong. (Asides from perhaps getting a bit more adept at anti aliasing)
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com