AuthorTopic: Newbie presenting  (Read 6896 times)

Offline iro urado

• View Profile

Newbie presenting

on: October 10, 2007, 05:23:17 am
Hello, this is my first post ^_^'

I'm glad I found this forum. I think I'll learn a lot from y'all.
Graphics and pixel are rellatively new passions for me (a year or so), but I had the time to create some pixels.

Dolls and animations

Isometric

Other artwork

That's not all, but I don't intend to put my potofolio in this post. :P All comments and critics welcome, as long as they are constructive (that's why i took the time to post it in the first place...)
I know I'm not very good with textures, fabrics and dithering. Maybe with your help...
The sources for my images are photographies (especially that last one...), images I find on the Internet, and drawings. Thats' about it, I think.
See ya 'round.

Offline Gelsamel

• View Profile

Re: Newbie presenting

Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 05:30:03 am
The chick with the blue hair could use a bit of color difference in her hair (below the light halo).

The scythe needs that little shiny bit in the middle to be shinier and perhaps a bit of detail in the wooden handle.

No clue on everything else as I usually only pixel art weapons. That being said you're heaps better then me haha. Though I've never really liked the whole doll thing :-/.

Oh and I think the shading on the dolls is a bit strange, could change that.

Offline iro urado

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 06:16:31 am
Thanks Gelsamel, I think you are right. I'll try to make the changes as soon as possible. And I think changing the black outline for the dolls would be a good ideea (it took me 2 whole months to see it?!...) Any ideeas to improve or correct the animations?

Offline Gelsamel

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 06:41:56 am
The butterfly is fine when it's wings are moving slow but when it's moving fast it doesn't look like real motion. To fix that either put in more frames in between (with shorter delay) or add some sort of trail (If you move your hand really fast you'll see an image trail).

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 06:57:10 am
You should include your references. Especially since the last piece looks like it was just shrunken and reduced.

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 09:52:51 am
The bottom one doesn't look like it's pixel art at all.  :-\
it might be a one shot deal

Offline dille

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 12:51:10 pm
I think you should read the FAQ and find out what Pixel Art really means. The last picture is definetly not pixel art. Have you created the base for those dolls yourself?

Offline iro urado

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 02:54:15 pm
There are some pretty harsh accusations you're making here... If the definition below is the one you're reffering to, than I dont see what have I done wrong... The last piece was made pixel by pixel, like the others...
Pixel Art is a discipline by which images are created with pixel-level intent or precision. It is more than an end product - It is a methodology focusing on techniques such as hand drawn dithering, anti-aliasing, shading, animation, geometry, and some color theory. Here on this forum, people develop these skills and in turn teach them to others.

reference

On that refference, I cropped a vertical view and added a few dosen rows of pixels at the bottom to obtain the ratio you see, stamp-like. I found the palette and then I started banging my head on the desk because none of the dithering patterns I knew worked (well, that's how I found this forum so some good may still have come out of it ;) ) Anyway, the only thing that worked was dear-ol' Atkinson: I found this    in Wikipaedia under "dither" and I tried to copy it. Thats the story of that last artwork. Now I think it's only fair that you explain why do you say it's not pixelart.

Thanx Gelsamel. If I add more frames, the animation gets bizarre. The solution might be to add some trails, but I never draw that before. If you have a tutor I could use, might be better.
Byeyall

PS: yes, I created the base. If you wish to see it, here it is:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 03:23:49 pm by iro urado »

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 03:15:11 pm

Looks like a colour reduction with some bits changed. I hope you get banned.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 03:16:29 pm
I would be prepared to believe you that you handpixelled the last one, but always show references at any rate! The reason you were accused is that almost nobody around here likes random dither  and (besides Arachne!) almost nobody puts it to any good use. Your piece for example, would benefit from ordered dithers I think.

edit: though, that animation is pretty damning... what say you?