AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 819211 times)

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #390 on: March 28, 2008, 03:36:25 pm
Pretty neat Adam. Okay to commence nitpicking?

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #391 on: March 28, 2008, 07:23:35 pm
Sure!  It's not even close to done like it says on Indie Games Blog, but if you've got ideas or stuff that looks weird in this version lemme have it :D

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #392 on: March 28, 2008, 09:32:27 pm
The controls have some oddities. There seems to be a slight acceleration/deceleration going on which screws things up. I'd say it's generally a good idea to leave that kind of things out unless the gameplay is based on momentum like sonic or mario. It's pretty hard to get to work properly. Now it only adds confusion. In addition it feels like it gets worse with diagonal movement. Small nudges to dodge things are hard cause the ship might move just a few pixels or then it might jump a longer distance. Slowing down the ship might help a bit, but it wouldn't remove the fundamental weirdness. In life force on NES  it's easy to navigate through small openings even if the speed is maxed. There are no "extras" in the movement. Pressing a button makes the ship move on a set speed, that's it. Moving in a circle, going back and forth left/right up/down really fast should make the problem apparent in your game.

I'd say the controls are tight when you can clear out a scattered wave with a single bullet for each enemy with no misses  ;D

One thing that helps making the controls more responsive is giving priority for the latest pressed key. Since it's played on a keyboard there will randomly be a situation where two opposing directional keys are pressed down at the same time. Now the left key always takes priority which might give a small latency when switching from moving left to moving right.

The art looks nice, but one thing that bothers me is how the front of the ship flickers like mad when moving horizontally. There's a space where adjacent pixels alternate from dark to light. Making the other spikey thing darker probably fixes it.
You could also experiment with different types of explosions and sound effects to work on the really top-of-the-pyramid game-feel territory. The way some specific explosions were made in silkworm are pretty neat and i haven't seen it in other games. When you shoot the mines or bombs or whatever they were, the explosion is really fast and moves away from the direction it was shot from. It really feels like blasting something away. Generally a lot of shmup enemies' movements and explosions don't seem to be affected by the momentum of your bullets. Maybe giving it a feeling of blasting away stuff could add some immersion? As for the sound department, smashing the random button in SFXR should give you enough resources that you can mix together to create an explosion sound that really feels like something specific, even if you can't tell what it exactly is. Try to give it sound that makes killing the enemies feel really good.

The best feeling related effect at the moment is when the bomb is used and a lot of explosion sounds go off at the same time and the screen flashes. Has lots of "OOMPH"

One thing i liked a lot was how the pickups moved up instead of down. Gives you a reason not to shoot all the time. This kind of small things that add gameplay without adding control complexity are more than welcome in any game. Now NOT-SHOOTING is a viable gameplay strategy. Waiting and shooting enemies when they're closer to the bottom of the screen gives time to collect the flickeryballs. Maybe you could expand on this idea with boss battles and such?

I'm looking forward to play more of this game. It's really great for something that was created in such a short time  :y:

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #393 on: March 29, 2008, 02:33:22 am
I havn't posted anything.. at all in quite a while.. so I guess I'll just post one of my recent and favorite sketches..

regular old #2 pencil used..
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #394 on: March 29, 2008, 02:48:14 am
Not sure how realistic you're trying to make it, but the torso and legs are too short, Malor.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #395 on: March 29, 2008, 03:36:19 am
ah yes, I thought that would be brought up.. I didn't really intend for it to be very realistic in the first place, but it was a mistake which I noticed, I just didn't feel that it need to be fixed in this case. I may fix it eventually..If it bothers people, that is.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #396 on: March 29, 2008, 04:39:46 am
Been doing a bit of concept art at work lately and that's put me in the mood to do more painting at home.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #397 on: March 29, 2008, 06:29:44 am

There's something beautiful about the hand-drawn outlines (dare I say inking?) overlapped to the pixeled coloring there.

*sniff* anybody picking up a stench of stagnant ego from this page?   :0#
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 06:51:45 am by Conceit »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #398 on: March 29, 2008, 07:51:20 am
huzba thanks for all the feedback!  duly noted, all of it.  As far as the movement goes, it's actually kinda tricky, since its all integer math and no trig, but suffice to say SOME acceleration is necessary, but I will continue to experiment with the timing and stuff, especially regarding short keypresses.  Glad to hear you like the bombs and pickups, I've been getting a fairly positive response to those from most of the players so far!  I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the flickering, but I'll check it out - if its something as simple as an art change that should be easy.  Also I agree 100% that putting momentum into the explosions is pretty awesome!  I'll definitely experiment with that as well...maybe once I have missiles in they will have a concussive blowback like that?  Anyways thanks again, it will be a while before I can update but hopefully I can address all of these concerns :)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #399 on: March 29, 2008, 01:57:31 pm
Ben that looks wonderful, I love digital painting.  ;D