AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 819604 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #1560 on: June 15, 2012, 02:17:06 am
There is no secret! I just kind of randomly stumbled onto a good painting....

That really is true, but one thing that helped is using some custom brushes to dirty up the canvas. I didn't even know the composition was going to be the way it was until I found it in the random value shapes I was making.

Also, I was always a low opacity guy, but Feng Zhu only alters the flow of his brushes. I've mostly stuck to that and my paintings have been more successful since.

But definitely don't get it from me; digital painting is definitely not that my thing, and half of the people over at concept art could paint circles around me in photoshop!

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #1561 on: June 15, 2012, 05:31:33 pm
Ah, most definitely; big-ass textural brushes are what it's all about for me and high opacity work really forces confident rendering; more flair. It's actually a bit odd that you would err on the side of composite layering given your all your pixel heritage.

Mini crit: the fs doesn't quite convince; I'm not sure whether it's the scaling itself or perhaps an absence of much indication of surface wrapping and compression on the forearm, but the former's an oft made (by me ;D) consequence of pulling out form from the abstract without planning/linear construction.   

I lurk CA :P did you catch Peleng's threads recently? Phenomonal stuff. 

Edit: Also: I like it; great lighting :D 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 11:01:49 pm by Facet »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #1562 on: June 18, 2012, 04:05:51 am
Facet: Did you edit that post just for the compliment sandwich? I'm thicker skinned than that ;] good crit is good. But where I'm at right now, fixing drawing issues is much easier than making an overall successful digital image.

to be honest I find completely opaque painting almost unbearable. My pixel mindset is distant from both my digital and traditional painting mindsets which are relatively close together. I love transparency and soft edges which is all but impossible in pixel art. What brings me back to pixels is the literally finite nature of it, being able to manipulate the atoms of an image ( and that's all you get). When I get a chance I'll post a recent portrait when most of the details were smaller than the grain of the canvas. I caught myself thinking " if only it was pixels!"

Just caught Peleng's thread. Definitely inspiring. Concept art is great for a constant kick in the ass. The best of the best post their work there, and that is exactly who you should be comparing yourself to. I'm still trying to make work worthy of the " finally finished" section!

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #1563 on: June 19, 2012, 08:01:25 pm
compliment sandwich?
:lol: Nah, I just realised I hadn't said so before; lighting recalls some Black Frog stuff.

Yeah, I saw your blog and some of the lovely sfumato stuff too (you look a lot like Android Jones in that graphite sp) probably referencing pixel stuff was a bit misleading; I just meant that reveling in the medium in it's most raw and immediate form foremost (swish?) and blending later is a common painterly inclination (which is definitely also apparent in some of your paintings & choice of master copies) and translates very well into a digital space with limitless mark-marking potential.

It is a very satisfing feeling; that of optimum configuration. I used to paint on hardboard because I hated the canvas grain ;D.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #1564 on: June 24, 2012, 01:15:55 pm
Mini crit: the fs doesn't quite convince

I notice a bit of, perhaps unintentional, visual repetition <-- "Twinning":

Basically the eye does relatively the same thing 3 times as it moves across this area of the image:
bump, bump, bump.
instead of:
Bump, buuump, Bummp.
Its really not that big of a deal, and is only as relevant as you want it to be.
But its a fun thing to use to your advantage. <-- create pattern, focus, relation, symmetry etc.
Or actively look out for and remove from parts of an image <-- most artists naturally twin on a first pass, so its sometimes easier to think about on a cleanup pass.
Cool painting!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 05:10:31 pm by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #1565 on: June 24, 2012, 05:04:43 pm
For you :D

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #1566 on: June 26, 2012, 07:56:13 pm
Haven't drawn in ages, should start making daily sketches to prevent rusting. Got some of the cogs moving with hammering, thankfully.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #1567 on: June 27, 2012, 09:51:22 am
Testing some FX and digital input on my cheap electric, not at all fond of the loss of tone and no string sounds/resonation and just the general difference between it and the amplifier but someone said it sounded fine overall, I'm suspicious whether they were humouring me, just recorded this earlier today, non composed improvisational thingy with alot of flange, reverb n pseudo-delay

what you think of the sound? and is the FX too heavy? ignore the playing itself timing is off and it's not very inspiring just amateur randomness

OGG: http://db.tt/6ojwkcmP  I did an MP3 but it sounded noticably different and couldn't be bothered messing with the bitrate etc at the moment

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #1568 on: June 28, 2012, 07:54:34 am
Looks cool, huZba. I want to learn to paint more freely like that - your forms aren't all arbitrarily defined, silhouettes are ambiguous in places, things recede into atmosphere/background. I tend to assume that I have to fully "describe" something's shape and details, but that's often boring.

Grim, nice to see you hanging around the site a lot. Nice playing. Yeah it's a very random composition but it reminds me of some 80's rock solo intros or something. The effects are really heavy, but not too much. Not for a short sequence. I don't know if that would work for an entire song, though. Might be a tad too heavy for that.

(In my Firefox, when I go to your link I get a nifty OGG player with a grainy dark grey background. Is that a feature of Dropbox?

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #1569 on: June 28, 2012, 09:19:48 am
oh yeah was gonna comment on your work  huZba do you draw them at that rez, detailed thumbnails? nice metal shading and use of colour.

thanks mathias too much maybe? heh yeah quite repetitive now i listen back to it, and snap yeah seems it has it's own embedded player never noticed that just clicked it from what you said, I actually just checked it out in Opera, Firefox and Comodo Dragon (just a security centric chromium browser) and each one has a different style player bizarre n kinda neat, and thanks for the feedback I got lots of better stuff and actual compositions but not sure about throwing them up, I might pass another one for feedback (with better playing) that uses some strange double routed audio through line in and digital IN/OUT to use Guitar Rig which I've been messing with lately

oh yeah I might add my guitar strings haven't been replaced in like 6 months D: and it's just tuned up quite significantly to avoid rapid de-tuning so that makes it sound different too it's like open F tuning in drop E (essentially drop D transposed up) I'll change them sometime soon, also read something recently that playing flaws are far more obvious at higher tunings and string tension and from recent experience I tend to agree, some of those metal guys have their guitars tuned down to C and G, need more funds to get better guitars and gear, pleasantly surprised by the fact you didn't tell me it sounded awful  ;D only been playing 2 years, anyway I'll shuttup  :lol:

oh although yeah might as well keep some creativity going recent-ish scribble testing out Krita Paint (because GIMP lamed out with the latest release and wacom tablets have zero pressure sensitivity anymore :( )

roughly 10-15 minute speed paint
and spent another 10-15 on it but kinda think it lost something, not too keen on it myself .-.

whoa I noticed they look pretty nice as thumbnails

decided to mess around with it but just realized I should probably have used some reference in the first place  :mean:

tried keeping it really quick and started messing with the angle and then got frustrated     and bam random gender,angle&expression swap scribble thingy :lol: and yeah I realize that pushing it further into profile view made it look bad, anyway done with that ::)

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 10:12:16 am by Grimsane »