AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 819717 times)

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #1140 on: November 24, 2009, 10:14:43 pm
xhunter, something important in all forms of graphic art, but especially comics, is taking advantage of the fact that people read from left to right, top to bottom. Because of this even within a single panel of a comic things on the left will be percieved as happening before things on the right do. Example, in the last panel of your comic the cat is thinking "laughter is good. laughter is good" in reaction to the laughing mouse, but because we read from left to right it appears that he is thinking "laughter is good" and THEN the mouse responds by laughing.

If you want some good literature on comics/sequential art I recommend Drawing Words and Writing Pictures.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #1141 on: November 24, 2009, 11:46:48 pm
It might be easier to show the order of the conversation if everything was mirrored. For example, the cat approaches the mouse from the right side instead of the left side.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #1142 on: November 25, 2009, 03:01:19 am
Thanks guys.
I'll try and keep those tips in mind. I'm going to see if I can't try and fix things and make them a little more clear. I'll see if I can't find that book "somewhere" ben. Maybe I'll post a few more panels later. Hey, when your having fun working on something, it's probably worth it to keep going.

Some issues fixed I think.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 07:06:14 am by xhunterko »

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #1143 on: November 25, 2009, 05:41:38 pm
Week 3, Day 3:
This time I drew all of these back at home and spent the time on the subway just observing them, trying to save as many features as possible into my memory. (After I got off of the train I just quickly drew those very tiny reminders, which you can barely see in the image. These tiny reminders only contain the most important features though and use symbol language that I made up on the fly without thinking about it.)

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #1144 on: November 25, 2009, 09:23:07 pm
Dang, I haven't hit up here in a while.  AND I MISSED THE EFFING SECRET SANTA.  AGAIN.   >:(  :n:

I made some new music, here are the only ones I'm proud of:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/290935
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/290714

Listen/rate, (or review if you have an NG account) if you please.  I need to know why I suck at making music  :y: :crazy:  Many thanks to Envy for showing me Vengeance.

Indigo:  I may be a little late to the Indy frenzy, but your music is pretty beast.  The lyrics are pretty great, and I like the guitar riffs.  Nice job.  We obviously have different means of making music..  haha.  Props.  I don't have time to sit down and really go through and review it, but I may in the future.  :)

Shrike
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 09:30:22 pm by Shrike »

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #1145 on: November 26, 2009, 02:42:26 am
@Shrike:

Synthetic rage: Sounded verry good! Good beat mixed in with some well used repeats.

Rain of Fire: It's a bit slow in the build up. I would've had that happen quicker to keep the pace going. Speaking of, the slow down at the end was a bit unsettling. Maybe you were going for something diffferent but usually it's slow, slow, medium, build, fast, fast, fast, medium, medium, slow down, slow down. Or some such nonsense. But still, very pleasing tracks overall.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #1146 on: November 26, 2009, 07:29:06 pm
Yuck, something went terribly wrong today. Probably the accumulated sleep deficit from the week so far.

Drew them all at home again and just observed on the subway. I should go back to studying from the life subjects while being on the train though as it is somehow starting to show that I have to make most of the stuff up and that I often can't decide how something should appear from the chosen angle. (Also note to self: Stop talking about reading the Loomis book and actually read it.)

Hope it's ok with everyone, if I keep posting my stuff here, 'cause I'm starting to feel a bit like I'm spamming too much.

Week 3, Day 4 (cent inserted to illustrate scale):

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #1147 on: November 26, 2009, 10:01:23 pm
I love how you're constantly keeping the thread alive and inspiring me and us all, go go go! If any other moderator has any problems with it I'll let them decide.
' _ '

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #1148 on: November 26, 2009, 11:53:23 pm
It's fine by me :) If it motivates you to draw more if you can post it here, that's nice, so please do.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #1149 on: November 27, 2009, 04:45:40 pm
Hehe, alright then, here I go (makes me feel good that you find it inspirational Jad) and hell yes, it motivates me a lot to post it here ptoing.

Week 3, Day 5:
All started on the subway with the thick pencil then retouched a bit with the fine pencil at home. The girl on the left was sitting directly in front of me and as I started drawing the other girl to the right, I believe she thought I was drawing her and she looked me directly into my eyes and smiled, so after I finished the other one, I decided to draw her, to do just what she seemed to be expecting all along. While I was trying to observe her features without her noticing it (I failed at that), she looked directly into my eyes again and smiled again... unfortunately I felt intimidated by that so I had to finish her without looking again. :P
Sleepy dude was funny to watch, he seemed to be having trouble staying awake and his head kept falling down.

append:
No subway today, but started reading "Fun With A Pencil". :)
Didn't copy Loomis heads for the most part and made up my own, using his construction guidelines (which if I'm not mistaken is the point of the first few pages).

append2: switched below image with new photo of same page after todays additions (copying the heads from the book is a bit boring, I wonder why the first few pages encouraged the reader to do their own(which was a lot more fun) and the following pages seem to ask the reader to copy... maybe I'm just misinterpreting the text, will go back to doing my own next time))

append3:
Week 4, Day 1:
And back to "observation on subway, reconstructing from memory at home mode".
No stories to tell about these, except maybe that the man holding his hand in front of his mouth actually was a woman in reality but kind of turned so manly while drawing her that in the end I decided to adjust her accordingly, so she became a man.  :crazy:

append4:
Week 4, Day 2:
Now finally what I had feared would happen eventually struck today, my motivation seems to be coming to an end.
It was another day of just observing and not drawing in the subway. Created thumbnails after getting off of the train. Then got bored when I started constructing the bigger versions from those thumbnails at home. I need to relax today, haven't watched a movie or played a game for weeks. I'll watch The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz now...
Still posting todays piss poor excuse of a drawing:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 07:38:25 pm by Dennis »