AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 820044 times)

Offline BG

• View Profile

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #110 on: November 26, 2007, 07:05:57 pm
I'd move up the hand and put it on her shoulder. Feels most natural to me, since that's how I usually held my little sister when comforting her back in the day.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #111 on: November 26, 2007, 08:49:48 pm
Well since Larwick got his guts together to post something OT, I think I should too :P
Here's a pen sketch I made at school, bout 4 hours work with 0.1, 0.3 and 0.5 mm black fineliners.
(Hope the size is acceptable?) TEXT IS HALF ASSED.

A4 paper.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 12:35:22 pm by Opacus »

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #112 on: November 26, 2007, 11:07:35 pm

I'm not dead yet :) I don't have much time lately and haven't done any digital work in a while, so I'll just post a sketch I like. My brother told me to make a high-riser that is a crocodile when I asked him what to draw the other night :). Yeah, I intended to make several version, ones that aren't as silly and literal... I kinda didn't pay attention to symmetry, especially noticeable at the legs.

junkboy: love those pictures, great atmosphere!

vedsten: very nice for a first :) the bark is a bit fuzzy, and the whole scene a bit artificial, but again, pretty for your first non-pixel/vector piece.

locrian: love that portrait :)

opacus: I would prefer a smaller version. My max resolution is 1280x800, so I have to scroll down one whole screen to see the bottom half. I don't think it would lose a lot of information if it was halved in size. Anyway, it's the first analogue work I see from you so I have no reference point, but all in all keep it up. You know, draw from life and stuff, use contrast to improve readability (lighting doesn't always have to 100%-ly accurate, moderate use of fake-shadows can help distinguish a lot where needed). Also, if you're going to make a character, be sure to play around with poses as well. It's an essential part of a character, the way how it moves and presents itself, and you'll learn a lot about weight and balance. (I realize that this isn't a refined concept, that's just a little advice to keep in mind for work with intention).

larwick: I know it's stylized, but watch your eyes. Not only are they important to distinguish between male and female, but the eyes of the women almost touch in the middle, way too close I'd say. What also may add to this is the one curve that makes up the head's contour. Add a little resolution to the line, at least hint at jaw, eye-socket and forehead. And on the whole it looks a bit like an arrangement of snippets with all straight limbs, don't be afraid to try your hand at foreshortening more. Or am I mistaken here... what is she doing with the hand at her skirt?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 11:09:21 pm by miascugh »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #113 on: November 27, 2007, 12:43:00 am
Hello, Miascugh.

The idea is brilliant, so props to your brother.
The sketch is also very good, but something, and I have no idea what, feels like it's missing. I'm tempted to say it's something to do with the shoulder.

Also, that sketchbook looks familiar. What is it? A moleskin?
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #114 on: November 27, 2007, 01:17:25 am
Larwick: As to hand placement, I would think cupping the little girls should would look most natural. Also elder's right arm looks somewhat longish.

miascugh: Croc is brilliant.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #115 on: November 27, 2007, 02:20:27 am
Update:

BG: Yeah that seems like the most logical place. I haven't changed that yet, i did try but failed miserably. I'm probs just too tired. Atm i imagine her hand to be behind the little girls back.
Opacus: Looks cool, i like drawing in fineliner, although i do find it quite hard to come up with anything worthwhile. His left hand looks a bit lame, just being spikey joints n such. Also his right foot is oddly placed.
miascugh: Yeah, i was told of the eye problem and tried to fix it (only very slightly) mainly by moving her pupil, but i'm not sure if it's enough. With the headshape, i've added a little eye-ridge bit, but i didn't realise the problem as well when i did it, so i've done no more than that. I'll see what i can come up with there, i now realise she needs a proper forehead, heheh. Oh and yeah.. she's meant to be holding her skirt down from the wind >_> I'm thinking i may have to change her hand though. Thanks for all the crits! That 'croc castle' looks awesome.
surt: Yeah i know what you mean with the arm length, was because of how i placed her hand-lump i think.

Thanks guys.  ^-^
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 02:23:06 am by Larwick »

Offline BG

• View Profile

Reply #116 on: November 27, 2007, 07:59:31 am
the only thing that bugged me about the arm was the difference in length of the parts. Though I'm no expert at anatomy, I think this looks a bit wierd.

Offline Aelyrin

• View Profile

Reply #117 on: November 27, 2007, 08:06:11 am
What bugs me the most about that picture is that the older 'girl' looks like a man. @__@

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #118 on: November 27, 2007, 11:54:04 am
Good job on the folds there, Larwick. As for the older sisters eyes, I made a small edit. Basically just a cut and resize. She doesn't look as pissed off now though.  :huh:

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #119 on: November 27, 2007, 12:37:49 pm
Miascugh: Thanks alot for the advice mate, I'll keep it in mind. Yeah, I really need to work on my volumetric knowledge :(
I sized it down to 50%.

Larwick:
Yeah i kinda got lazy the lower I got. But I didn't sketch the pose first or anything since it was just a sketch, I didn't feel like it.
So I just did everything a bit as I went. And therefore screwed up at several places. Including the feet and the hand. Hard to erase fineliner :C.