AuthorTopic: The definition of a Style....  (Read 16619 times)

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Re: The definition of a Style....

Reply #30 on: September 16, 2007, 02:22:56 am
Even if we were to see this work, it still would not override the fact that aesthetics are largely subjective (save for certain aspects). Saying, "lemme see then!" isn't going to hlp anyone and sounds a bit more like a challenge of some sort more than naything else.
I would like to see more of what you can do though, Rox.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: September 16, 2007, 03:47:19 am
this isn't a challenge.  i think in a discussion on the topic of practices it is more than reasonable to point out that any claim should be taken with a grain of salt.  i believe rox is capable, but that doesn't mean she IS, and any discussion without observation is speculation rather than assessment.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #32 on: September 16, 2007, 10:44:14 am
Rox is a dude.

I think style isn't anything more or less than the way bias affects a person's actions. Kind of a gross generalization, but true. In art, it'll affect all sorts of things; subjects you pick, how you represent them, the tools you use, the restrictions you work under - in my opinion, all these are stylistic choices. Aesthetic decisions are determined by your biases, as well - and so are stylistic choices, in my mind.

The most ridiculous thing I've read today is Helm about how he doesn't have a style, when everything he says and does is laced with it.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #33 on: September 16, 2007, 12:32:12 pm
I measure what I say carefully. I wouldn't go 'dunno, need to see' for anyone posting here, but from those making claims of what they can and cannot do,  I know Rox's pixelation history and I think he's talking more than he's drawing, and this is a gentle nudge to do the opposite.

I believe his fixation on drawing furries might make him happy but will keep him constantly underachieving as an artist, and I'm not here to hold anyone's hand during that process. We're all here to learn and to progress to as far as we can go. So I am poking and nudging because this talk of 'I can but I won't' is bad for Rox.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #34 on: September 16, 2007, 12:39:49 pm
*shrugs*

style = a way of doing something.
a very loose definition, but doesn't it have to be?

and on that note, I think everyones got their "style" not necessarily trademarks like ears always pointed, noses always rounded etc, but an evident and recognizable process/execution, so much so that I think I could confidently differentiate between if say Helm, Indigo and Adarias coloured the same line-art.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: September 17, 2007, 02:40:06 pm
I am talking more than I'm doing. But like Adrias said, this isn't about what I can or can't do. You're just using this discussion as an excuse to get another chance to gawk at my awesomely awesome art of awesomeness! Bad Helm!

I actually spent about half an hour trying to write that post in a way that WOULDN'T make Helm try to make me prove myself, but I realized it's impossible... so I gave up. I'm still not intending to "prove myself" about anything, because that's completely irrelevant to this discussion.

And I can still blame my inactivity at that there 3D school I've mentioned a thousand times. It's an excuse, but it's true. Even if school allowed me to polish each piece until I think it's worth posting online (of course we don't get that much time), Pixelation still wouldn't be my first choice of forum to spam with polygons. So I'm afraid you still won't see much from me, despite all the gentle nudging.

Recent developments have made me considering making a new avatar though...

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: September 17, 2007, 09:39:48 pm
I am talking more than I'm doing. But like Adrias said, this isn't about what I can or can't do. You're just using this discussion as an excuse to get another chance to gawk at my awesomely awesome art of awesomeness! Bad Helm!

I actually spent about half an hour trying to write that post in a way that WOULDN'T make Helm try to make me prove myself, but I realized it's impossible... so I gave up. I'm still not intending to "prove myself" about anything, because that's completely irrelevant to this discussion.

And I can still blame my inactivity at that there 3D school I've mentioned a thousand times. It's an excuse, but it's true. Even if school allowed me to polish each piece until I think it's worth posting online (of course we don't get that much time), Pixelation still wouldn't be my first choice of forum to spam with polygons. So I'm afraid you still won't see much from me, despite all the gentle nudging.

Recent developments have made me considering making a new avatar though...

That doesn't mean you can't post something in that OT-creativity thread <3

Please do :]
' _ '

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: September 22, 2007, 12:54:37 pm
To me, a style is simply when you take the subject matter, and represent it differently using a set of boundaries and rules.  I could draw a pie, exactly as i see it, and then I could draw a pie under x restrictions.  I guess in a way, to me, style is when you change the way something is represented by changing the techniques and rules you work by. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #38 on: September 24, 2007, 05:38:24 pm
Adarias, I think what your prof said is only partially right. It's correct if someone does not actually have the ability to draw it properly IMO.

Look at Klimt, his old stuff he did was superrealistic old master kinda stuff, and lateron he stylised more, he found his style. Same can be said for lots of artists.
Style does not necessarily equal mistake, it can be a conscious abstraction or sometimes, yes a lucky fuckup that actually works, given you know what you are doing in the first place. If you do not know what you are doing to a certain degree it's not style but ineptitude.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: September 25, 2007, 12:37:09 am
Look at Klimt, his old stuff he did was superrealistic old master kinda stuff, and lateron he stylised more, he found his style. Same can be said for lots of artists.
Picasso, Girodet, Pollack.... :P
Style does not necessarily equal mistake, it can be a conscious abstraction or sometimes, yes a lucky fuckup that actually works, given you know what you are doing in the first place. If you do not know what you are doing to a certain degree it's not style but ineptitude.
Well said.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.